BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
bhofmannHJF
Fluorite | Level 6

A SAS user on our network receives the below error when trying to run a code, however if a colleague runs the same code on their computer (on the same network), it completes successfully.

ERROR: Windows error code: 59 in hc_disk_normal_read for
G:\IDCRP\GID\TIDOS\Deliverables\2019\TIDOS_DoDTR_EX01_19Nov2019\pid_injury_profile.sas7bdat,
An unexpected network error occurred.
ERROR: File DODTR.PID_INJURY_PROFILE.DATA is damaged. I/O processing did not complete.
ERROR: PROC SQL runtime error for operation=sqxsrc.
ERROR: An error has occurred.

I confirmed in SAS explorer that the G:\ location can be reached, and that the table is not empty.  Since it is working for another user on the same network, it does not appear to be a firewall/latency issue.  Just wondering where else I should be looking to resolve this.  Let me know if I should provide any additional information, thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

This error often indicates a device driver issue or a network problem. If it works for one user but not another -- on the same network (meaning on premise, no VPN), then it might be a device driver or network adapter issue.

I know that as many of us are working from home, access to network drives can be spotty and sometimes fail.

Adding a critical piece from the original poster that might help others looking for a solution:

Updating that, as many of you alluded, this is in fact a networking issue.  We utilize Zscaler for a cloud/on-prem Firewall/VPN, and it seems that is what is causing this error.

Learn from the Experts! Check out the huge catalog of free sessions in the Ask the Expert webinar series.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

This error often indicates a device driver issue or a network problem. If it works for one user but not another -- on the same network (meaning on premise, no VPN), then it might be a device driver or network adapter issue.

I know that as many of us are working from home, access to network drives can be spotty and sometimes fail.

Adding a critical piece from the original poster that might help others looking for a solution:

Updating that, as many of you alluded, this is in fact a networking issue.  We utilize Zscaler for a cloud/on-prem Firewall/VPN, and it seems that is what is causing this error.

Learn from the Experts! Check out the huge catalog of free sessions in the Ask the Expert webinar series.
Reeza
Super User
Probably something to work through with SAS Tech support as well, not something we can likely help diagnose remotely.

Usually these come down to some sort of access issue.
What happens for other locations?
What about other files? In different locations? In same location?
Can the user create a file in that location?
Sajid01
Meteorite | Level 14

Prima facie it is a network error,
Close all applications on the users PC and then reboot.

If it does not work, take up it support.

bhofmannHJF
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you all for the quick response.

The computer was restarted last night, but unfortunately the issue remained.  I have opened a ticket with SAS Support, and will update when/if a fix is found.  

Sajid01
Meteorite | Level 14
There is another suggestion.
If the user is using IWA in the EG profile please change it to user name / password
and restart EG session
bhofmannHJF
Fluorite | Level 6

It wasn't until we actually tried to copy one of the files in question to the user's computer and it failed with a network error, that we realized we were looking at the wrong piece of the puzzle.  Thank you everyone for the prompt feedback!

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 4 in conversation