BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
jakarman
Barite | Level 11

Of course you are not the admin. That is an impossible privilege escalation being closed by MS. When you connect with Eguide to a server the object spawner is the one that spawns the process not the kernel. The object spawner is running by a local server account when you did not change that. The local server account cannot escalate privileges to an admin account. Yes you can login with your key having those admin setting but it will not get those granted.

It is something the same with the setup bit at Unix. Only that bit is allowing to switch at root level.

---->-- ja karman --<-----
Dahcilsam
Calcite | Level 5

Problem with Excel spreadsheet data importing on SAS 9.4

Hi everyone, please I need an assistance in getting through my research analysis with SAS. I have the result data on excel spread sheet, but getting it imported into SAS had been a difficult issue. Import wizard is saying "Connection failed, see log for detail", and the log detail is "ERROR: Connect: Class not registered. ERROR: Error in the LIBNAME statement." I tried using the Proc Import command,it came back with "No Observation, and when I pasted the data as "Cards", there were some errors in the result ( Though I could not say if that was as a result of some missing values that represented with full stop sign). I will appreciate it anyone can help out and give me a clue of what to do, as I`ve been stocked at this point going to four weeks now.

Thanks

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Pleas open up a new question, as this one has already been marked "solved" by the original poster.

And include the method (best: post complete log of the offending step) that you used when trying to import the file.

System
Calcite | Level 5

This is irrelevant to the topic, but I am getting an error "Not allowed to post content more than once every 120 seconds" when I try to post a new thread on this forum.

My new question for a thread is:

I am trying to conduct a proc sql which does a left join, but I get an ERROR: Sort execution failure. I have tried changing the value of sortsize, but that does not seem to work. Modifying the value of memsize is blanked out. I am changing it through Tools > Options > System > System Adminstration > Memory. I have put in options fullstimer msglevel=i ;

Some of my log is:

NOTE: SAS threaded sort was used.

ERROR: Sort execution failure.

40  quit;

NOTE: The SAS System stopped processing this step because of errors.

NOTE: PROCEDURE SQL used (Total process time):

real time          46:15.10

user cpu time      6:09.48

system cpu time    1:10.21

memory              539212.23k

OS Memory          561896.00k

Timestamp          05/06/2015 11:44:34 PM

Step Count                        7  Switch Count  0

and

22  quit;

NOTE: The SAS System stopped processing this step because of errors.

NOTE: PROCEDURE SQL used (Total process time):

real time          42:58.80

user cpu time      6:03.10

system cpu time    1:09.32

memory              1247728.63k

OS Memory          1269916.00k

Timestamp          05/06/2015 10:38:24 PM

Step Count                        4  Switch Count  0

Usually, it only takes about 25 minutes to get an error so the 40+ mins is a bit different. I don't think the errors are occurring due to a lack of disk space as I have over 25 GB of free space and the two files I am trying to join together are around 3GB and 30 MB respectively. Unless, there is a restriction on the amount of memory Temporary Files can take?

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Please post your SQL code. One reason for your errors might be invalid SQL with "correct" syntax. Check your MEMSIZE setting using PROC OPTIONS. What value has it?

System
Calcite | Level 5

proc sql;

create table event as

select a.*,b.size

from event a left join size b

on (a.date=b.date)

order by permno,rdq1,td_count;

quit;

memsize is 2147483648. I don't think I can modify this. sortsize is currently at 268435456, but I have changed it 50%, 75% and 100%. I still receive the error regardless.

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

Your execution time and data-sizing doe not match to normal behavior.

A common pitfall is the Cartesian product as it blows up the data. When this happens, there should be a warning-note of that.

There is something strange in you SQL that is your new dataset (work.event) and an input dataset (event a left join) are the same. This is logical not possible in a RDBMS approach. During the processing those should be segregated. With classic SAS that is solved by using an intermediate file. I have also seen warnings SAS is not  happy with that anymore as of multithreading within their PRoc SQL.  

---->-- ja karman --<-----
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Unless you positively need a cartesian product, I would never use SQl for this type of task. Split in into steps and solve it with PROC SORT and DATA with MERGE. You may be astounded at the increase in performance.

The fact that your step needs 6 times real time compared to actual CPU processing is also a sign for improper use of hardware, which often happens with PROC SQL.

Ron_MacroMaven
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

I had this error message while running a batch job that took about an hour.

OpSys: Windoze XP, 32-bit.

My research at the time lead me to believe that the append procedure was failing

--- somewhere around i=1000 in a large loop ---

during my system's concurrent running of my virus scanner.

Since I am retired and not having to bug-trace,

I let it go and broke the job into smaller tasks.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 14 likes
  • 9 in conversation