BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Longimanus
Quartz | Level 8

To all SAS Code Guru's out there! 🙂  This should be pretty easy (I can do this in other languages easily) but I can't do it in SAS.
Never tried it. Before I spend time looking it up I'll ask here (deadline to meet).  So this is what I have:

Table A has more than one row per key (key_var).  This is the table  I need to update with the information in Table B that only 

has one row per key.  Both tables are indexed and sorted.  

Have                                           Corrections                                           Want

Table_A                                      Table_B                                                  Table_A

Key_var  Var_1   Var_2            Key_var  Fix_Var_1    Fix_Var_2         Key_var      Var_1   Var_2

1                X           A                   1               XX                AA                     1                    XX        AA

2               Y            B                   2              YY                BB                      2                   YY        BB

2               Y            B                   3              ZZ                 CC                     2                   YY        BB

3               Z            C                                                                                     3                   ZZ        CC

My code (which unfortunately only updates the first occurance): 

data TABLE_A;
   set TABLE_B;
   modify TABLE_A  key=key_var; 
   if _iorc_=0 then do;
     Var_1 = Fix_var_1;
     Var_2 = Fix_var_2;
     replace;
   end;
   else _error_=0;
run;

With the above  I only update the first row in Table-A that has the equivalent key in Table-B. Not the rest.  Is there a simple way to alter this in the above or do I need to solve this completely different.  I will keep trying to figure out HOW but like to see what you guys come up with. For a "Guru" this should be a walk in the park. Right? 

This is what I get now:  (not good enough as you see). 

Have                                           Corrections                                           Want

Table_A                                      Table_B                                                  Table_A

Key_var  Var_1   Var_2            Key_var  Fix_Var_1    Fix_Var_2         Key_var      Var_1   Var_2

1                X           A                   1               XX                AA                     1                    XX        AA

2               Y            B                   2              YY                BB                      2                   YY        BB

2               Y            B                   3              ZZ                 CC                     2                   Y           B         <---- 😒

3               Z            C                                                                                     3                   ZZ        CC

Any suggestion? Either a fix in the above or an entire other method  Thanx already now !!! 🤓

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
2 REPLIES 2
Longimanus
Quartz | Level 8

Hi folks! 

I have another way to fix this.  Another method that I will try.  I will join the two tables in SQL  so I get each correction row in the FIX-TABLE (Table-B) to be joined to each row in Table-A.  When I have all information in one table it's easy to get the result I want! 😊  

That said:  I am still curious how YOU'd solve this!

Have a nice day wherever you are!

Cheers!
Longimanus  

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation