BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Agent1592
Pyrite | Level 9

I have a licensed student version of SAS 9.4. However, sometimes I need to use another laptop on which I do not have administrator rights. Is it possible to create a portable version of SAS 9.4 that is small enough that I can use on a USB stick and is portable?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User

I sort of run SAS like this all the time. I use a 512GB SSD (thinking of moving to flash now) where I installed a VM and then open the VM on my different computers. However, your machine does need an application to run the VM, think VMware or Oracle VirtualBox. 

You do get a performance hit in terms of speed but it’s worth the convenience. Another option is installing on a cloud service. AWS supports it. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

SAS was definitely not meant to be installed or used in this manner.

It makes many changes to the Registry, and probably other system changes as well,

I'd suggest that you copy the whole SAS tree and try it out; USB thumb drives are quite capacious these days.

You'll probably need to alter several settings, like point the work directory to c:\temp, and might even be able to make it work, but that would be lucky.

Keep us posted on your efforts if you will.

Reeza
Super User

I sort of run SAS like this all the time. I use a 512GB SSD (thinking of moving to flash now) where I installed a VM and then open the VM on my different computers. However, your machine does need an application to run the VM, think VMware or Oracle VirtualBox. 

You do get a performance hit in terms of speed but it’s worth the convenience. Another option is installing on a cloud service. AWS supports it. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation