BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Jacob3
Calcite | Level 5

I have exported data from SAS to STATA hundreds of times with no problems. Recently, I keep getting the error: "Invalid Operation" "Termination due to Floating Point Exception". I have looked online on how to remedy this, but have not had success.

I would appreciate any advice to fix this.

I am copying in below the relevant part of my log file.

NOTE: Table MUNI.WSJ_EVERYTHINGBTRADEZTW created, with 95404 rows and 73 columns.

79 quit;
NOTE: PROCEDURE SQL used (Total process time):
real time 0.76 seconds
cpu time 0.09 seconds

82 Proc export DATA=muni.WSJ_everythingBtradeztw DBMS=STATA
83 OUTfile='H:\SASdata\Bank\muni\vol_1trades_all_issuers_30days_wsjBtw'
84 replace;
85 Run;

ERROR: Invalid Operation.
ERROR: Termination due to Floating Point Exception
NOTE: The SAS System stopped processing this step because of errors.
NOTE: There were 1 observations read from the data set MUNI.WSJ_EVERYTHINGBTRADEZTW.
NOTE: PROCEDURE EXPORT used (Total process time):
real time 0.06 seconds
cpu time 0.01 seconds

3 REPLIES 3
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Is it an intermittent problem or does it happen with all STATA exports? Does it only happen with certain datasets or any or all datasets? Does the same problem occur writing to a local drive like C:?

Jacob3
Calcite | Level 5

It is intermittent, it has only started today. I am able to export a simple dataset to STATA, but for whatever reason, not the one I would like to.

I use SAS/STATA through a remote connection, I do not have authorization to write a file to the C: drive.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Does it always fail for the same file?  Or does it seem to fail randomly.

If you have a file that always caused the error the try to figure out what it is about that file.  Try dropping some of the variables.  Try subsetting the number of observations.  Until you can figure if there is a specific data value that is causing the issue.

Make sure the H drive has the space needed to save the file.  Try having SAS write the file to your SAS work directory instead to make sure it isn't an issue with that drive.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation