BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
ewod
Calcite | Level 5

Hello SAS Community!

I'm having an issue importing a csv file with data from different sites around the world.  If I don't set the encoding file to UTF-8 then my log is clean but the variable with the site name imports incorrectly.  When I set encoding to UTF-8 my site names look good, but the investigator name causes a WARNING to my log, which gets caught in my companies log checker.  I'm supposed to produce a clean log.  I created a sample csv file with 3 rows and 3 variables of data.

In my sample csv file it's the data in TestField1 that is causing the warning, and the variable TestField2 contains the site names that I need to be imported correctly.

Reading file without UTF-8...

proc import file="U:\sas\encoding_test.csv"
    out=csv_1
    dbms=csv
    replace;
    GUESSINGROWS = MAX;
run;

results in a dataset that looks like this...

ewod_1-1724027618975.png

Importing it with encoding set to UTF-8...

filename fname "U:\sas\encoding_test.csv" encoding="utf-8"  ;
proc import file=fname
    out=csv_2
    dbms=csv
    replace;
    GUESSINGROWS = MAX;
run;

Results in a data set that looks like this (correct TextField2, TextField1 is still not quite correct)...

ewod_2-1724027751932.png

The warning in the log looks like this:

ewod_3-1724028180875.png

TextField1 is a variable I don't use, so I'm not worried about it being read in correctly, I would just like a clean log.  I've attached my sample csv file (and this screenshot).

ewod_4-1724028435191.png

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Ksharp
Super User

If you are using UTF-8 encoding SAS, that would not be a problem.

Ksharp_0-1724031891484.png

Ksharp_1-1724031934543.png

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Ksharp
Super User

If you are using UTF-8 encoding SAS, that would not be a problem.

Ksharp_0-1724031891484.png

Ksharp_1-1724031934543.png

ewod
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks for the reply.  I am choosing my companies "Unicode Support" SAS session...

ewod_0-1724066495803.png

I'll check with my IT department and ask them to check the SAS install since it doesn't appear to be working properly.

Thanks again

whymath
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Your SAS session is not UTF-8 encoded, so the special characters "Çİ" can't be displayed normally even if you specify UTF-8 encoding to the file. That's why there is a transcoding——SAS can't display raw characters under the current session encoding.

You can import the file under UTF-8 encoded session, just like what @Ksharp does.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation