BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
vegan_renegade
Obsidian | Level 7

HI all, not sure where I have gone wrong with this. I have an actual code, but created this dummy code, and the same issue occurs.  Note that I'm asking cells to be red if the test date is missing (.) AND test result is not blank. However, I'm getting red cells in patients 1, 2 even though they have a test date. Based on this code, I should only have a red cell at test result for patient 5. What am I missing?

data test;
   input patient_id $ test_date :mmddyy10. test_result $15.;
   format test_date mmddyy10.;
   datalines;
1 06/01/2023 Negative
2 07/13/2023 Positive
3 09/25/2023 .
4 11/21/2023 .
5 . Positive
;
run;

proc report data=test;
compute test_result;
  if test_date = . and test_result ne ''
  then call define(_col_,'style','style={background=red}');
endcomp;
run;

sastable.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

@vegan_renegade wrote:
There is no need for an unhelpful and condescending response.

Perhaps not, but there a details on how Proc Report uses things. For example from http://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings15/SAS1642-2015.pdf which is referenced in my version of the online help for Proc Report under the Concepts tab in the Using Compute Blocks.

LESSON 1: THE COMPUTE STATEMENT
PROC REPORT processes a data set by reading the variables in the order in which they appear from left
to right in the COLUMN statement. The procedure builds the report one column and one row at a time,
and COMPUTE statements are executed as the report is built.

I emphasized the left to right because that is the order things work. A compute block cannot use a column to the right of its position. If you want Test_date to use Test_result directly it has to be to the right of Test_result. Since you have not provided a COLUMNS statement, then the order is the default from the data set and Test_date is LEFT of test_result. So doesn't "see" the Test_result values.

By creating the Alias for Test_date on a Columns statement that is to the right of Test_result you get around that limitation.

While not required a Columns statement is a good idea just so you keep in mind the relative positions of the output. Also at some time you have someone provide a similar data but the variables in different order. It might take way more time than it should to realize your output is different because of the missing columns statement.

Similarly, the Define statement to reinforce if a variable is display, group/order, analysis makes a difference and worth including.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

If you want to reference TEST_DATE in the compute block code you need to either DEFINE TEST_DATE as DISPLAY instead of the default of SUM.  Or reference it as TEST_DATE.SUM (or some other statistic).

vegan_renegade
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you! I changed the test code a bit to account for other scenarios and using "in" instead of "ne" to spell out the inclusive responses instead, and ran into a similar issue, even when using both variables as DISPLAY:

data test;
   datalines;
1 . Not Done
2 . Positive
3 09/25/2023 .
4 07/13/2023 Positive
;
run;

proc report data=test;
define test_date / Display "Test Date";
define test_result / Display "Test Result";

compute test_date;
  if test_date = . and test_result in ('Positive' 'Negative' '')
endcomp;

compute test_result;
  if (test_result in ('Positive' 'Negative' '') and test_date = .)
  	or (test_result in ('Not Done' '') and test_date ne .)
endcomp;
run;

sas-ss.PNG

Patient 1: Test Date cell should not be red

Patient 2: Test Result cell should not be red

ballardw
Super User

@vegan_renegade wrote:

Thank you! I changed the test code a bit to account for other scenarios and using "in" instead of "ne" to spell out the inclusive responses instead, and ran into a similar issue, even when using both variables as DISPLAY:

data test;
   datalines;
1 . Not Done
2 . Positive
3 09/25/2023 .
4 07/13/2023 Positive
;
run;

proc report data=test;
define test_result / Display "Test Result";

compute test_date;
endcomp;

compute test_result;
  if (test_result in ('Positive' 'Negative' '') and test_date = .)
  	or (test_result in ('Not Done' '') and test_date ne .)
endcomp;
run;

sas-ss.PNG

Patient 1: Test Date cell should not be red

Patient 2: Test Result cell should not be red

Why shouldn't Patient 2 result be red? The code says if the values is Positive and test_date is missing which are both the case for Patient 2.

vegan_renegade
Obsidian | Level 7
Haha you're right. I guess I'm left with the issue on Patient # 1 only. Any clue on that one?
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

You are asking the COMPUTE block to look into the future.  And since SAS has not yet released their psychic features that cannot work.

proc report data=test;
  column patient_id test_result test_date test_result=tr2 ;
define test_result / noprint ;
define tr2 / Display "Test Result";

compute test_date;
endcomp;

compute tr2;
   if (test_result in ('Positive' 'Negative') and missing(test_date))
   or (test_result in ('Not Done' ' ') and not missing(test_date))
endcomp;
run;

Tom_0-1724259637026.png

vegan_renegade
Obsidian | Level 7
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

@vegan_renegade wrote:

Huh?

Did you try making sure that TEST_RESULT appears in the COLUMN statement BEFORE the variable where you are trying to use its value in the COMPUTE block?  Or not?

ballardw
Super User

@vegan_renegade wrote:

Perhaps not, but there a details on how Proc Report uses things. For example from http://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings15/SAS1642-2015.pdf which is referenced in my version of the online help for Proc Report under the Concepts tab in the Using Compute Blocks.

LESSON 1: THE COMPUTE STATEMENT
PROC REPORT processes a data set by reading the variables in the order in which they appear from left
to right in the COLUMN statement. The procedure builds the report one column and one row at a time,
and COMPUTE statements are executed as the report is built.

I emphasized the left to right because that is the order things work. A compute block cannot use a column to the right of its position. If you want Test_date to use Test_result directly it has to be to the right of Test_result. Since you have not provided a COLUMNS statement, then the order is the default from the data set and Test_date is LEFT of test_result. So doesn't "see" the Test_result values.

By creating the Alias for Test_date on a Columns statement that is to the right of Test_result you get around that limitation.

While not required a Columns statement is a good idea just so you keep in mind the relative positions of the output. Also at some time you have someone provide a similar data but the variables in different order. It might take way more time than it should to realize your output is different because of the missing columns statement.

Similarly, the Define statement to reinforce if a variable is display, group/order, analysis makes a difference and worth including.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation