BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
BrianB4233
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi all,

I apologize in advance if this isn't the correct forum or place to ask this question but I've found sparse info elsewhere. Anyway, I'm a programmer that is on multiple projects with separate tasks for each, and often, it gets muddy for me. So I'm querying this community to ask what resources/software others use to keep track of these things, e.g., Excel, something SAS includes that I'm not aware of or haven't utilized, Microsoft Project. 

As a note, I do have Microsoft Project but the learning curve seems to be a bit steep and it seems to be aimed more towards a project team rather than an individual.

Thanks, Brian.

8 REPLIES 8
SASJedi
SAS Super FREQ

What are you attempting to manage? For code, I use GitHub (or a SAS internal version of GitLab) to keep project code. As for managing my time, I generally use my Outlook calendar to manage all of that. If you are responsible for project planning, estimating, and management, MS Project is the best tool I've found for that. The learning curve is worth it, especially if you manage a team for each project. It can help you ensure no-one gets over-committed, etc. 

Check out my Jedi SAS Tricks for SAS Users
SASKiwi
PROC Star

What tools does the organisation you work for use? Most will use project management and change management tools of some kind and its better to use the ones already in use than to choose something completely different. As already mentioned, git is great for change management. Git integrates well with MS DevOps which is great for project management as well. Ask around your organisation - what is already being used?

Quentin
Super User

Are you trying to manage stuff for a team, or 'just' your own work?

We've gone agile at work, so each project has backlog of stories, and stories get pulled into sprints and assigned to you etc.  But I don't actually use that to track my own work.

I keep a simple to-do list in Outlook, and also have a OneNote notebook for each project that has meeting notes, more detailed todos, reference materials,etc etc.

Personally, I don't feel like I can really work on multiple projects well at the same time.  The switching costs are too high. So typically, even if I have 3-4 projects ongoing, for a given week I will try to focus on one.  And the others might just get bug fixes is support or planning meetings.  Because with all the meetings and other stuff, a week can get short fast.  And for real work development work, I need a 3 hour chunk of time, and I don't get a lot of those in a week, sadly.

I'm not managing projects, so I've never learned MS project and never made gant charts etc.  Even before we were doing agile, I always l pretty much always worked in places where analytic work was an iterative process, rather than trying to plan out and track a 6-month deliverable.

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Don Henderson presenting on using hash functions (not hash tables!) to segment data on June 12. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
Sajid01
Meteorite | Level 14

Hello @BrianB4233 
if you have MS Projects, it is worth the time in learning it.
You can excel too but it epends on what you need and what is the practice in your organizations.

AllanBowe
Barite | Level 11

Like @SASJedi we run ALL our SAS projects from VS Code.

Personally I also use VS Code for managing my tasks, specifically a tool called "Journal".  There are two extensions needed to make best use of it:  https://sasjs.io/vscode/#journal

/Allan
SAS Challenges - SASensei
MacroCore library for app developers
SAS networking events (BeLux, Germany, UK&I)

Data Workflows, Data Contracts, Data Lineage, Drag & drop excel EUCs to SAS 9 & Viya - Data Controller
DevOps and AppDev on SAS 9 / Viya / Base SAS - SASjs
EduardoAlaza331
Calcite | Level 5

Do you work by yourself or are you part of a team? In the case of having multiple projects it’s complicated to keep track of all of them by yourself.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

The OP never replied to any responses so I doubt there is any point adding to this post.

EduardoAlaza331
Calcite | Level 5

I worked as a freelancer for a small company that provided assistance for refugees. Because it was a new project, the managers couldn’t keep all the tasks organized. We worked with mostly freelancers and volunteers, so it was difficult to schedule the work hours of each individual. Also, we lost track of which person completed which task. Finally, we went to exposit.com, who helped us with developing a custom software to keep the business organized and running.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 9 likes
  • 7 in conversation