BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Mallonjf0
Fluorite | Level 6

Wondering if SAS Studio has an option in its text editor to display line and column numbers? Handy for me when inputting by column position.

Thanks John

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mallonjf0
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks Chris, downloaded Notepad++ successfully but still can' get a ruler to show.

John

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
34reqrwe
Quartz | Level 8

In version 4.3 You can display line numbers in the code editor by choosing "More application Options" near the top right of the screen, then choose preferences-> editor -> Show line numbers

Mallonjf0
Fluorite | Level 6
Thank you, John
Reeza
Super User

SAS Studio documentation is pretty decent. 

It shows that you can set the line numbers, but I don't see anything about column numbers. The columns do show on the bottom left corner when typing though. 

@Mallonjf0 wrote:

Wondering if SAS Studio has an option in its text editor to display line and column numbers? Handy for me when inputting by column position.

Thanks John

Mallonjf0
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you,

My input files often have odd formats with variables having spaces anywhere in them. I have been using the SAS log file that provides a ruler and line numbers. This is shown when you have invalid data for a variable. Works, but I was wondering if SAS provided the ruler option.

Seems not.

But thanks for you time.

John

ChrisBrooks
Ammonite | Level 13

It doesn't as far as I know but of course SAS programs are simply text files so you could write them in any text editor (I know many people use Notepad++ and I've used UltraEdit) and then open them in SAS Studio and run them there.

Mallonjf0
Fluorite | Level 6
Thanks, are notepad++ and ultra available. How much $$ if you know. 
John
ChrisBrooks
Ammonite | Level 13

Notepad++ is free -> https://notepad-plus-plus.org UltraEdit is $99.95 for a personal licence with discounts for teachers and students -> https://www.ultraedit.com

Mallonjf0
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks Chris, downloaded Notepad++ successfully but still can' get a ruler to show.

John

ballardw
Super User

@Mallonjf0 wrote:

Thank you,

My input files often have odd formats with variables having spaces anywhere in them. I have been using the SAS log file that provides a ruler and line numbers. This is shown when you have invalid data for a variable. Works, but I was wondering if SAS provided the ruler option.

Seems not.

But thanks for you time.

John

There is another option that may be available to examine line and column positions in SAS: FSLIST. I don't know if this works in SAS studio but in SAS command bare entering FSLIST "path\and\filename", or if you assign a FILENAME to the file, FSLIST Fileref will open the file in a Viewer (no editing). You can add a column ruler similar to the Log using the COL command once the viewer is open and the NUM command shows row numbers. And this will have the text on a single row.

Mallonjf0
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks, don't see a SAS Command bar in Studio. Will look around some more.

Thanks for your time and suggestion, John

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation