BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Matthew_Xu
Calcite | Level 5

Hello mates! 

I am now doing a research with an unbalanced panel dataset.  The model I apply is as follow:

Y=a*X+b*X^2+c*other control variables.

However, I think X can also affect Y via other channel, which is : X-->Z-->Y (this is called indirect effect). And i am now confused on what kind of procedure or codes that can help me to identify whether this indirect effect exists or not?

Since i am very fresh towards SAS, hoping the one who can help me can provide some explanation on the code used.

Much appreciate!

1 REPLY 1
koyelghosh
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

I think, may be, what you are referring to as Z being a confounding variable (see wikipedia and this article). Most likely you are aware of how to take care of confounding variables, else this article can be a good starting point for knowing ways to deal with a confounding variable.

You might have to use different methods to find if the indirect effect/confounding variable, Z, exists. I am no expert in SAS but I will not be surprised if there is not a well defined single PROC to tell you with certainty about the same (if Z is a confounding variable/indirect effect).

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation