BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Phil_NZ
Barite | Level 11
Hi everyone,
Please move my post if it us posted inappropriately.
But I am curious about the SAS On Demand for Academics( represented by SAS Studio) promoted recently. I have some concerns as below after watching some YouTube videos from SAS User channel:
Whether I need SAS program in my local machine to use SAS on demand like SAS Studio or I do not need to have SAS locally installed in my computer. Apart from that, I  saw that we need to upload the data to the cloud and so, is there any limitation regarding datafile size. And it is a browser-based programming, and in my computer, Chrome costs really high memory to deal with some tabs (normally 700 MB), so I am not sure if we deal with around 1 million obs on SAS Studio, how many GBs of RAM that we need though to process a simple datastep? I saw a lot of videos recently and SAS documents about the advantages of SAS Studio compared to SAS EG, so what are the advantages of SAS  EG then. I already have paid version of SAS and SAS EG, so should I change to SAS Studio then?
Warmest regards.
Thank you for your help, have a fabulous and productive day! I am a novice today, but someday when I accumulate enough knowledge, I can help others in my capacity.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Personally I think you are asking the wrong question. SAS EG is not necessarily better or worse than SAS Studio. It depends on what your situation is. If you want ultimate customisability and flexibility then you will only get that with SAS and EG on your own PC or laptop. With SAS On Demand for Academics and SAS Studio you are dealing with a locked down and data-limited SAS version specifically geared towards learning and research. But one big advantage is you can use it anywhere as long as you have internet access and a web browser on anybody's PC or laptop.

Sometimes SAS Studio with SAS On Demand for Academics will be the best choice and sometimes EG and local or remote SAS will be the best choice. It is not a case of only choosing one option and sticking only to that. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

That is a lot of different questions.  

As to SAS On Demand it is definitely running in the cloud somewhere, so you will need to upload the data if it is not somewhere that the server SAS is running on can access it directly.  There might be limits on the size of a file you can upload.  There are definitely limits on the size of a file you can upload only using the SAS/Studio interface, but that might not be the only way to upload files.

SAS/Studio does not run SAS in your browser, it just uses the browser to let you interact with a SAS session.  So the size of the data you can work with is not going to be restricted by the power of your browser or the machine it runs on.

Enterprise Guide is a Windows application that runs on your PC and interacts with a SAS session.  SAS/Studio actually has most of its execution running on the server (perhaps a different server than where the SAS session runs) and just uses your browser to let you interact with it.  So you don't need to install anything on your PC.  And you don't even have to be running Windows on your PC to work with it.  Just be able to run a browser.

There are other differences between SAS/Studio and Enterprise Guide, although to me those are small in comparison to the difference between just running SAS itself instead of using one of these intermediaries to interface to your SAS session for you. 

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Personally I think you are asking the wrong question. SAS EG is not necessarily better or worse than SAS Studio. It depends on what your situation is. If you want ultimate customisability and flexibility then you will only get that with SAS and EG on your own PC or laptop. With SAS On Demand for Academics and SAS Studio you are dealing with a locked down and data-limited SAS version specifically geared towards learning and research. But one big advantage is you can use it anywhere as long as you have internet access and a web browser on anybody's PC or laptop.

Sometimes SAS Studio with SAS On Demand for Academics will be the best choice and sometimes EG and local or remote SAS will be the best choice. It is not a case of only choosing one option and sticking only to that. 

Islenny
Calcite | Level 5

Buena respuesta!.. Si la necesidad es de instruirse, estudiar y aprender SAS Ondemand es la mejor opción, en mi caso que estoy en proceso de capacitación, hago labores desde la oficina y en casa en la laptop continuo sin problemas. Solo es necesario una conexión a Internet. Si su interes es mas profesional existen soluciones SAS que te pueden interesar. https://www.sas.com/es_ar/solutions/iot.html

Phil_NZ
Barite | Level 11
Could you please let us know what you want to mention then, I do not understand non-English word? Thank you.
Thank you for your help, have a fabulous and productive day! I am a novice today, but someday when I accumulate enough knowledge, I can help others in my capacity.
Islenny
Calcite | Level 5

Sorry!, I had written was:

If the need is to educate oneself, study and learn SAS Ondemand is the best option, in my case I am in the process of training, I do work from the office and at home on the laptop without problems. All you need is an internet connection. If your interest is more professional, there are SAS solutions that may interest you.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation