4 Public Health

3 Physics

;

run;

/* Sort by Deptid so first./last. logic can be used in the next step */

proc sort data=have;

by deptid;

run;

/* CALL SYMPUTX creates macro variables &Subj1, &Subj2, etc from the values of Deptdescription.*/

/* The total unique values of Deptdescription are stored in &Total */

data _null_;

set have;

by deptid;

if first.deptid then do;

i+1;

call symputx('subj'|| left(put(i,2.)),deptdescription);

end;

if last.deptid then call symputx('total',i);

run;

/* Within a macro %DO loop the data sets are created and those observations with the same */

/* Deptdescription values are read with a WHERE clause */

%macro test;

%do i=1 %to &total;

data &&subj&i;

set have;

where deptdescription="&&subj&i";

run;

%end;

%mend test;

/* invoke the macro */

%test

The above process creates separate datasets based on the deptid and deptdescription.  The issue is Public Health is created twice (Public then Health) in separate datasets.  I tried using

length deptdescription $50; in the macro test area however I still get separate datasets whenever there is a space in the variable name.  How can I address this?

2 REPLIES 2
Reeza
Super User

If Subj = Public Health this becomes

data &&subj&i.;

becomes:
data public health; <- This is not valid

Figure out how you want to name the data set and fix that step. 

This post addresses the issue you're seeing

https://blogs.sas.com/content/sasdummy/2015/01/26/how-to-split-one-data-set-into-many/

s_lassen
Meteorite | Level 14

You have two possibilities: Either you change the variable to a valid SAS version 7 (or earlier) name, or you use option VALIDVARNAME=ANY and use a quoted string for your data set name. The second solution may be easier, as you can use the same macro variable for the WHERE clause and the data set name:

data "&&subj&i"n;
  set have;
  where deptdescription="&&subj&i";

So your datastep will now create a single table, called "Public Health", instead of two tables, one called "Public" and the other called "Health". But you will then have to refer to it as "Public Health"n.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation