BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
mandan414
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello,

I'm operating cross tabulations like below:

proc surveyfreq data=mydata varmethod=BRR;         

tables Var1 * Var2 * Var3

Var1 * Var2 * Var4

Var1 * Var2 * Var5 

………………

……………..

……………..

Var1 * Var2 * Var9 / row cl nofreq nowt nocellpercent nototal;

repweights BSW1-BSW1000;

weight  weight_var;

run;

Var1 has 5 values, var2 has 2 values and var3 or var 4...… can have from 3 to 6 values. SAS operation is really slow for this. I tried only one table  (tables Var1 * Var2 * Var3 ) with 2 bootstrap weight (BSW1-BSW2) and it took SAS 1.5mins to complete it. Any suggestions?

Thank you so much.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User
Not to be a pest and repeat myself again, but have you tried SASFILE?
I would assume a bootstrap option would require many reads so it may help.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
ballardw
Super User

How many records are involved in this data set?

Reeza
Super User
Is your table local or on a network drive? Have you tried loading the file with the SASFILE command?
I'm assuming you have decent RAM as well, if you're using SAS University Edition the default settings are low.
mandan414
Fluorite | Level 6

Reeza. My SAS is on network drive. It's for my work and I must use the network and work computer, no other choice. Thanks.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Where does your SAS WORK library point to? I'm hoping it is your local drive. If so run a test using data copied to WORK to see if that improves performance. 

mandan414
Fluorite | Level 6

SAS work library is on the network. Thanks.

Reeza
Super User
Not to be a pest and repeat myself again, but have you tried SASFILE?
I would assume a bootstrap option would require many reads so it may help.
mandan414
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi Reeza,

I tried it, it's super! Much much faster! Although, I still don't know what SASFILE exactly does. I'm going to study about it. Thank you!

Reeza
Super User
It loads the data into RAM so it's not being re-read constantly so it should speed things up significantly when there are multiple reads of the same file and you're using it for data intensive calculations.
andreas_lds
Jade | Level 19

@mandan414 wrote:

SAS work library is on the network. Thanks.

This is ok, if - and only if - sas runs on a server. If sas is installed on your computer, having work on a network share is, kindly put, a really bad idea.

mandan414
Fluorite | Level 6

I don't quite understand it. Could you explain it a little more? Thank you for your time.

andreas_lds
Jade | Level 19

If you have a local installation of sas any network-traffic will, most likely, slow down the execution of you sas job. So using local drives is highly recommended. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 5 in conversation