BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
navin1984
Calcite | Level 5
Dear All,

Need an expert advice to start:

I have data warehouse application which is running over Mainframe and Use SAS for ETL.

Currently read data from Mainframe file, transform using SAS and load back into Mainframe files.

Is it possible to replace Mainframe with GCP?

Means read data on GCP though SAS, transform the data using SAS and load data back to GCP using SAS.

Any supporting Document link will be helpful.

Regards,
Navin Gupt
3 REPLIES 3
Reeza
Super User

Have you seen the documentation?

https://documentation.sas.com/doc/en/pgmsascdc/9.4_3.5/acreldb/n0bm9s8t6t6rr2n1qgkamlgtb0kk.htm

And a more in depth paper ( a bit old so may be out of date both on SAS and GCP side)

https://www.sas.com/content/dam/SAS/support/en/sas-global-forum-proceedings/2020/4626-2020.pdf

@navin1984 wrote:
Dear All,

Need an expert advice to start:

I have data warehouse application which is running over Mainframe and Use SAS for ETL.

Currently read data from Mainframe file, transform using SAS and load back into Mainframe files.

Is it possible to replace Mainframe with GCP?

Means read data on GCP though SAS, transform the data using SAS and load data back to GCP using SAS.

Any supporting Document link will be helpful.

Regards,
Navin Gupt

SASKiwi
PROC Star

@navin1984 - If you are quoting third-party acronyms, it's a good idea to also include the full definition. In your case I assume you mean Google Cloud Platform, but I had to Google that to be sure that is what you are meaning in the context of your question.

For example GCP could equally mean Good Clinical Practice if you were referring to healthcare issues...🙂

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

I think we need more context to able to give advice.

So the source data is on a on-premise mainframe, and will continue to be so?

What kind of file format is used by the source?

SAS ETL: what version of SAS? Is it generated from SAS Data Integration Studio, or coded directly using Base SAS syntax?

Target data warehouse - should also move to the cloud I assume. What is your target data layer? Lake/blob storage, or a database engine like BigQuery?

Data never sleeps

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation