BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
bhuiyaas
Calcite | Level 5

Hi

I am new to SAS and trying to understand what do I need to know to resolve a problem explained below:

I am using SAS Enterprise Guide which is server based. (version: 7.12  (64-bit))

I have a SharePoint site (SharePoint Online 2013) which is part of Microsoft office Suite.

I have to integrate SAS and SharePoint in a way that my SAS code can update List in a SharePoint site. But I am not sure how I am going to establish a connection that would allow them to talk to each other. 

For example, I am aware that, with SAS I can connect to other applications, such as, Teradata (which is also located on a separate server) using a piece of code(No need for creating ODBC). I was told that the connection is already created once in global macro and can be used by all. So I just have to run that piece of code to establish a connection with the data residing on Teradata.

Now, coming to SAS and SharePoint, because I cannot use HTTP protocol, I am planning to use something like Access to establish the connection between the two.

I successfully managed to Link an Access Database (in my local machine) and update the SharePoint List as needed. [I can update/ select Access database using SAS EG in my local machine]

However, whenever I am trying to select/ update that particular Access file using SAS, I am getting 'Cannot connect to SharePoint site' error message. So I am wondering if there is any server side info that either servers (both SAS and SharePoint) needs which I am missing. If yes, can someone guide me on where I can get those info or whom I should talk to to get that info. And How I specify those information in SAS?

My assumption is that, although I am running SAS EG in my machine, it is running on a server which does not have the information for the server where SharePoint Online is hosted. And that's preventing the connection. 

I have tried to create an ODBC for Microsoft Access and using the wizard, I was able to use the ODBC to display the linked table (in Access) in SAS. However, when I am trying to use code to use that ODBC, it is giving me an error which says 'SAS cannot identify the driver'. 

Can someone help/ advise?

Regards 

1 REPLY 1
Anand_V
Ammonite | Level 13

Hi @bhuiyaas 

There are system requirements that might be in place for Teradata that is the reason you are able to connect to it directly using a libname statement or a pre-assigned library. SAS/Access interface to OLE DB can be used to access data from Microsoft Access. I think it's supported only on Windows.

SAS/ACCESS Interface to OLE DB
Base SAS software is required for the installation of SAS/ACCESS Interface to OLE DB.
DBMS Product Required: An OLE DB data source provider
Before you can use SAS/ACCESS Interface to OLE DB software, an OLE DB provider for the data
source where you want to access data is required. OLE DB providers are often available from DBMS
vendors and other third-party software vendors.
The OLE DB provider that you select might require additional DBMS software for network access. All
required network software supplied by your database system vendor must be 64-bit-compliant. The
64-bit version of the OLE DB provider is required for the data source.

Ref: https://support.sas.com/documentation/installcenter/en/ikfdtnwx6sr/66390/PDF/default/sreq.pdf

To make a connection via libname: https://go.documentation.sas.com/?cdcId=pgmsascdc&cdcVersion=9.4_3.5&docsetId=acreldb&docsetTarget=p...

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation