BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
njgrubic
Fluorite | Level 6

I have been receiving the following error from SAS when I try to run a program.

ERROR: Insufficient space in file WORK.CARES1_8.DATA.
ERROR: File WORK.CARES1_8.DATA is damaged. I/O processing did not complete

Capture.PNG

From what I could gather from other forum posts, my temporary file work folder has been clogged up from SAS programs that have been incorrectly terminated (I have been terminating programs recently due to long running times). I am unable to find the folder to clear these temporary files? Is there a SAS proc or a location I should be looking in on my PC?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hi @njgrubic,

Folder AppData is hidden by default. So, you need to change the setting for "Hidden files and folders" in the Windows Explorer: Tools --> Folder Options… --> View.

EDIT: Actually @Kurt_Bremser deserves the "accepted solution". To make this post an alternative solution I add:

%put %sysfunc(pathname(work));

The above %PUT statement writes the path of the WORK library to the log. Typically, the parent folder of that folder contains the "orphaned" Work folders from old (crashed) SAS sessions alongside the current Work folder(s). The subfolder names contain process IDs to make them unique.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Start a SAS session, right-click on WORK in Libraries, and select Properties. You will see the physical path to the directory. How you navigate there depends on your SAS setup (local, client-server, operating systems). Then you remove all orphaned directories there.

njgrubic
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks Kurt - I have tried this although I am unable to find the physical path directory provided. It sends my to my user folder and then directs me to an AppData folder. Although I can't seem to find this AppData folder in the path location. Any other thoughts?

FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hi @njgrubic,

Folder AppData is hidden by default. So, you need to change the setting for "Hidden files and folders" in the Windows Explorer: Tools --> Folder Options… --> View.

EDIT: Actually @Kurt_Bremser deserves the "accepted solution". To make this post an alternative solution I add:

%put %sysfunc(pathname(work));

The above %PUT statement writes the path of the WORK library to the log. Typically, the parent folder of that folder contains the "orphaned" Work folders from old (crashed) SAS sessions alongside the current Work folder(s). The subfolder names contain process IDs to make them unique.

Ksharp
Super User
Direct your WORK library into other fold.

libname x v9 'c:\temp';
options user=x ;

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation