BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.

It is really annoying how so many words are used interchangeably, so when SAS say they are a leader in 'Analytics', in particular Advanced Analytics...does this refer to data analytics or business analytics? or are these two referring to the same thing?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

@edasdfasdfasdfa wrote:

I appreciate the reply. That makes sense.

But I guess my main question is: Would data analytics and business analytics be referring to the same thing? and if not, how would they differ? 

Yes, no, maybe.

Depends on person talking. Many people assume meanings into such phrases based on their experience, such as you may be doing.

I spend five years working with the US Department of Agriculture supporting such things as water movement in soils, overland water runnoff, stream flow modeling and a variety of weather related processes.

SAS has modules to support such things a Clinical Trials which focus on health outcomes and not "business".

Lots of mechanical/structural modeling goes on with SAS. Which may eventually have a "business" connection but not direct financial modeling.

So, where do you draw a line at defining "business analytics".

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

"Advanced analytics" and/or  "Predictive analytics" are specific segments of the analytics market. So when we see announcements like this, they are based on measurable things like market share in the industry.

Then we have the "Leader" quadrant of the Gartner Magic Quadrant, where SAS has placed now for 8 years running. That's an analyst report that evaluates offerings based on ability to execute and the overall vision.

And of course, we consider SAS to be a leader in analytics in general...in innovation, bringing solutions that customers need, and researching new methods. That's more of a sense of pride around the way that we do things and our direction.  The above two examples are more about 3rd party validation.

Check out SAS Innovate on-demand content! Watch the main stage sessions, keynotes, and over 20 technical breakout sessions!
edasdfasdfasdfa
Quartz | Level 8

But I guess my main question is: Would data analytics and business analytics be referring to the same thing? and if not, how would they differ? 

ballardw
Super User

@edasdfasdfasdfa wrote:

Yes, no, maybe.

Depends on person talking. Many people assume meanings into such phrases based on their experience, such as you may be doing.

I spend five years working with the US Department of Agriculture supporting such things as water movement in soils, overland water runnoff, stream flow modeling and a variety of weather related processes.

SAS has modules to support such things a Clinical Trials which focus on health outcomes and not "business".

Lots of mechanical/structural modeling goes on with SAS. Which may eventually have a "business" connection but not direct financial modeling.

So, where do you draw a line at defining "business analytics".

Reeza
Super User
There are no standard definitions for these terms.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation