BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
PeterKellberg
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

I have made a couple of macros that makes life much easier when you have to deal with dates in macro variables. The examples illustrate the use from within a macro. Please feel free to put them in your SAS Macro Library for easy use.

Have a nice weekend 😉

isValidDate
Returns True (1) if the date is valid and False (0) if not.

%macro isValidDate(date);
    %local rc datevalidation;
    %let rc=%sysfunc(dosubl(%str(data _null_;date=input("&date", ?? ANYDTDTE60.);call symputx("datevalidation",date);run;)));
    %if &datevalidation=. %then %do;
        %return;
    %end;
    %else %do;
        %return;
    %end;
%mend;

Example

%let date=2018-10-33;

%if not %isValidDate(&date) %then %do;
%put ERROR: DATE is not a valid date!;
%return;
%end;

toDate
Converts a text date to a SAS date. Can be used when comparing two dates.

%macro toDate(date);
    %let rc=%sysfunc(dosubl(%str(data _null_;date=input("&date", ?? ANYDTDTE60.);call symputx("datevalidation",date);run;)));
    &datevalidation
%mend;

Example

%let date_depart=2018-12-05;
%let date_arrival=2018-10-07;

%if %toDate(&date_depart) > %toDate(&date_arrival) %then %do;
    %put ERROR: Departure date after arrival date!;
    %return;
%end;

toDay

Gives you todays date.

%macro toDay;
    %sysfunc(today())
%mend;

Example

%let registrationdate=2018-10-07;

%if %toDate(&registrationdate) > %toDay %then %do;
    %put ERROR: Registration date after today!;
    %return;
%end;

8 REPLIES 8
mkeintz
PROC Star

DOSUBL is quite a hammer, but I do not see this task as a nail.   The datevaliddation macro can be done without invoking a data step, which would surely be more expensive than embedding an INPUTN function and IFN function in nested %sysfunc's.   It would be difficult for  me to recommend  DOSUBL-dependent approaches when other techniques are readily available.

Consider:

%macro valdate(date);
  %local date;
  %sysfunc(ifn(%sysfunc(inputn(&date,ANYDTDTE60.))=.,0,1))
%mend;

%let rslt=%valdate(41jan2011);
%put &=rslt;

The same approach could be used for the TODATE macro.

--------------------------
The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

PeterKellberg
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks for your thoughts 😉 I know that we dont want a datastep when not needed and especially not in "Boolean" macros. That is  why I used DOSUBL. And why datastep? Because the ?? (to suppress warnings if invalid date - I dont want them) in the INPUT function simply is not available in the INPUTN function. I cant wait until monday to try your solution.

Regards, Peter

mkeintz
PROC Star

@PeterKellberg

I revised your macro by removing the ??, and used it against an invalid date (2018-13-33), and get no warning message, (and same in my alternative), even though it does produce a warning when run in normal code.  Are you sure you need the "??" inside the macro?  

The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

Quentin
Super User

Good point @mkeintz.  I was surprised to see that ANYDTDTE informat doesn't actually generate invalid data errors:

68   data _null_ ;
69     date=input("foo", ANYDTDTE60.) ;
70     put date= ;
71   run ;

date=.

Found this usage note that describes it:  http://support.sas.com/kb/14/291.html

Does that fact that it's a usage note rather than a problem note mean that this is an intended feature?  Or since the table does show a 'fixed' column with null values, does that suggest it could be fixed in a future version, so that invalid values would throw an error?

I typically stay away from anydtdte, as it seems like more guessing than I would want.  But I suppose if one is willing to take some mess of differently formatted date strings and push it through anydtdte, accepting its interpretation of the strings, they may not want errors for any values where anydtdte guesses that it's not a date.

The Boston Area SAS Users Group (BASUG) is hosting our in person SAS Blowout on Oct 18!
This full-day event in Cambridge, Mass features four presenters from SAS, presenting on a range of SAS 9 programming topics. Pre-registration by Oct 15 is required.
Full details and registration info at https://www.basug.org/events.
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

You cannot use INPUT()  with %SYSFUNC(), but you can use INPUTN() and INPUTC() instead.

I always assumed it just made it easier to implement for %SYSFUNC() to know whether to treat the result as string or a number.

PeterKellberg
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks for the supreme input from you!

What did I learn? The ANYDTDTE informat does not produce messages in the log like this (as do any other DATE informat - I presume). 

NOTE: Invalid argument to function INPUT at line 7 column 10.
date=. _ERROR_=1 _N_=1
NOTE: Mathematical operations could not be performed at the following places. The results of the operations have been set to missing values.
      Each place is given by: (Number of times) at (Line):(Column).
      1 at 7:10

So if we choose the ANYDTDTE informat for checking a date for being valid we can use the INPUTN function straight away:

%if %sysfunc(inputn(&date,ANYDTDTE10.)) = . %then
        0;
    %else
        1;
%mend;

or more compact

%sysfunc(ifn(%sysfunc(inputn(&date,anydtdte10.)),1,0))
%mend;

As mentioned the ANYDTDTE informat may not be the favorite - we want perhaps to use the yymmdd informat:

/* input registration date on the form yyyy-mm-dd */
%let regdate=2018-10-08;

Because the yymmdd informat will produce annoying messages in the log when it encounters an invalid date AND ?? to suppress those messages is not available in the INPUTN function - the solution is a DATA step that can make use of the INPUT function.

We cannot just have that DATA step inside the macro because the code is passed back to the Input Stack. The whole point in this is to make a macro that only returns TRUE/FALSE. Ordinary code will ruin this approach. Somehow the DOSUBL function does not do that.

So thats why I chose that solution. A variant in order to supply your choice of DATE informat:

%macro isValidDate(date,informat);
    %let rc=%sysfunc(dosubl(%str(data _null_;date=input("&date", ?? &informat);call symputx("datevalidation",date);run;)));
    %if &datevalidation=. %then
        0;
    %else
        1;
%mend;

And the testing will look like this

%if not %isValidDate(&date,yymmdd10.) %then %do;
    %put ERROR: The date is invalid. Enter a valid date in the format yyyy-mm-dd.;
    %return;
%end;

Regards,

Peter

Quentin
Super User

Nice.  So as a general point, %SYSFUNC allows you to call almost all SAS functions from the macro language.  For functions that cannot be called from the macro language, you can wrap them in a function-style macro with a DOSUBL block called by %SYSFUNC.  For those wanting to read more about such macro functions, see Rick Langston's excellent paper: https://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings13/032-2013.pdf. 

The Boston Area SAS Users Group (BASUG) is hosting our in person SAS Blowout on Oct 18!
This full-day event in Cambridge, Mass features four presenters from SAS, presenting on a range of SAS 9 programming topics. Pre-registration by Oct 15 is required.
Full details and registration info at https://www.basug.org/events.
PeterKellberg
Obsidian | Level 7
Thx Quentin 😉 Hat off for Mr. Rick. Again I learned something new: PROC STREAM.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 4 in conversation