BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Son_Of_Krypton
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi There,

I have sas dataset which has size around 2GB but after appending data to oracle it's showing 11GB size of same table in oracle.

Can somebody help me with this issue.?? 

4 REPLIES 4
andreas_lds
Jade | Level 19

Hardly possible to suggest something useful with that little information you have provided. Start by posting proc contents of the dataset you append.

ballardw
Super User

By "appending" do you mean you took data from SAS and appended to an existing table in Oracle?

If so, what are the properties of the variables in the Oracle table? Compare the Proc Contents for the SAS data set.

If SAS data set has text variable with 10 characters (length 10) and the data is "appended" to a field that in Oracle is set to hold 50 characters there may be some extra space used in Oracle because of the setting.

SAS numeric variables typically are 8 bytes. So if you append them to an Oracle field that is set to use higher precision then more space is used in Oracle.

If a SAS variable is a Date, that is a numeric variable. I have no idea how Oracle stores dates and times but that is another potential issue where converted data in Oracle may take more space.

Not a specific to SAS/Oracle issue. I ran into similar behavior with SPSS and Microsoft Access.

Sajid01
Meteorite | Level 14

Hello @Son_Of_Krypton 
I see from your question that you are "appending data to oracle ".
Are you appending data to an existing oracle table OR creating a new table and adding data to it?
Looks like  you have created a connection to oracle using libname statement and performing the append, please note that in proc append the table attributes will correspond to the attributes of the base table.

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

I think you need to work closely with your Oracle DBA to understand these issues.

Data never sleeps

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 5 in conversation