BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Khaladdin
Quartz | Level 8

Hi all,

I have a large dataset with a comprehensive cleaning code. The code works well and pretty fast. The only issue is it creates a huge amount of log file (more than 500 GB). As a first step, I decided to use  proc printto and save log file in my hard disk. However, as I said, even log file became more than 500 GB. Thus, I need something which prevents SAS to create any information in the log. 

Much appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hi @Khaladdin,

You can also use PROC PRINTTO to discard the log.

Example:

filename nirvana dummy;
proc printto log=nirvana;
run;

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
PeterClemmensen
Tourmaline | Level 20

See if this gives you some info you can use

Suppressing Information in the SAS Log

FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hi @Khaladdin,

You can also use PROC PRINTTO to discard the log.

Example:

filename nirvana dummy;
proc printto log=nirvana;
run;
Khaladdin
Quartz | Level 8
I am currently trying this. Will let you know once I have the result.
Khaladdin
Quartz | Level 8

It works. As suggested by other contributors, it is a bit dangerous to send all log to nirvana. However, I have checked my cleaned data and everything is perfect.

noling
SAS Employee

Just out of curiosity, what are you printing to the log? Is it only the default notes from the procedures or have you specified additional information to print?

Register today and join us virtually on June 16!
sasglobalforum.com | #SASGF

View now: on-demand content for SAS users

Khaladdin
Quartz | Level 8
Actually, it is just the default notes from the procedures. I have run the same code previously. It has never printed anything like that. I am using the same type of data, however, with large size. It now starts to print a large log. I do not know the reason actually.
noling
SAS Employee

Interesting. I'd think you'd have to be running 1000's of procedures to generate a 500GB log. I'd examine the log to see if there is any unexpected output. 500GB is alarming.

Register today and join us virtually on June 16!
sasglobalforum.com | #SASGF

View now: on-demand content for SAS users

Quentin
Super User

Agree, I'd look at the log and see what's going on.

I've never in my life had enough confidence in a SAS program to feel good about the idea of sending a log to nirvana.  

Even if you have the perfect program, there's too much opportunity to something to go wrong with your data, or network, or .....

A 500GB log sounds like something may have gone horribly wrong.

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Don Henderson presenting on using hash functions (not hash tables!) to segment data on June 12. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
ErikLund_Jensen
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Hi @Khaladdin 

You don't say anything about your setup, and if you are running your job locally I have no good ideas. But in a client/server somebody could have made changes that to the SAS installation, that can make the log explode, if you are running many steps, e.g. with a macro loop.

Have a look at the log options and see if mprint, mlogic, symbolgen or source2 are enabled. And check ARM logging. After an upgrade we had ARM logging and mprint enabled, and out logs exploded with a factor 10 or more.

Khaladdin
Quartz | Level 8

Hi all,

Many thanks for your comments.

I have looked at the log. The log file does not show any error. However, it automatically copies all my data into the log file as a text. 

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

@Khaladdin wrote:

Hi all,

Many thanks for your comments.

I have looked at the log. The log file does not show any error. However, it automatically copies all my data into the log file as a text. 

SAS does NOT automatically copy your data to the log.  Even if you have in-line data SAS does not echo that data to the log.

646  data test;
647    input x;
648  cards;

NOTE: The data set WORK.TEST has 3 observations and 1 variables.
NOTE: DATA statement used (Total process time):
      real time           0.09 seconds
      cpu time            0.02 seconds

652  ;
Ksharp
Super User

Try this option . EDITED 

options notes=no source=no source2=no;

data have;
set sashelp.class;
run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 8 in conversation