BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
MadhuriDara
Calcite | Level 5
Hi, I am using SAS 9.3 to connect to SQL Server 2017 (AWS RDS) . I run an update statement like this: libname SQL ODBC DSN=SQL_ODBC UID=UID PASSWORD=PWD DIRECT_EXE=DELETE; PROC SQL; UPDATE SQL.TAB100 SET KEY = 1 WHERE KEY IN (SELECT KEY FROM SQL.TAB200); QUIT; TAB100 has 5.3 million rows and TAB200 has 2 rows. This SAS statement just hangs for 2-3 hrs. When the update stmt is run on the SQL Server database it takes 2 sec. I have tired creating DSN with both these dlls: MSODBCSQL17.DLL and SQLNCLI11.DLL. The SAS statement hangs with both the ODBC DSNs. Could you please share your thoughts on how it could be improved. Thanks Much, Madhuri Dara
1 REPLY 1
ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

There is a wonderful thing called formatting, which is linked to another invention called paragraphs.

You should try to look into that. I hear it helps written communication.

Regarding your question, you should use explicit SQL pass-through.

The syntax is something like this:

proc sql;
  connect using SQL;
  execute by SQL (
    update TAB100 set KEY = 1 where KEY in (select KEY from TAB200)
  );
quit; 

The way you wrote your query, the whole tables are sent to SAS and then back.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation