BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
ghosh
Barite | Level 11

Is there a way to retrieve comment from Excel 2013 xlsx worksheets using SAS Enterprise Guide?   Perhaps through xml? 

When I try to save the xlsx file in xml format I get an error message "cannot save XML data because the workbook does not contain any XML mappings".  However, I am not sure how I would create mappings for comments since they occur in several columns.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ScottBass
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

I Googled "excel vba extract comments".

Here is one hit:  https://trumpexcel.com/get-list-of-comments-in-a-worksheet-excel/

Perhaps this will get you what you need?

Please post your question as a self-contained data step in the form of "have" (source) and "want" (desired results).
I won't contribute to your post if I can't cut-and-paste your syntactically correct code into SAS.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
andreas_lds
Jade | Level 19

@ghosh wrote:

Is there a way to retrieve comment from Excel 2013 xlsx worksheets using SAS Enterprise Guide?   Perhaps through xml? 

When I try to save the xlsx file in xml format I get an error message "cannot save XML data because the workbook does not contain any XML mappings".  However, I am not sure how I would create mappings for comments since they occur in several columns.

Thanks

You could extract the xlsx file, search for the xml-file containing the comments (could be more than one) and read that xml-file using libname. I would do nearly anything to avoid such a programming task 😉

But there seems to be no other way to import the comments.

ghosh
Barite | Level 11
I did not understand how I could extract the xlsx until I read the message s_lassen below. However, thank you for the lead.
ScottBass
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

I Googled "excel vba extract comments".

Here is one hit:  https://trumpexcel.com/get-list-of-comments-in-a-worksheet-excel/

Perhaps this will get you what you need?

Please post your question as a self-contained data step in the form of "have" (source) and "want" (desired results).
I won't contribute to your post if I can't cut-and-paste your syntactically correct code into SAS.
ScottBass
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Or Powershell?

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/44811375/reading-comments-from-excel-file-with-powershell

I'll leave it to you to Google Python, etc 🙂

ghosh
Barite | Level 11
Thanks for both suggestions, I did see these approaches when I had googled the problem, still hoping to find a SAS solution if possible before going the VBA route.
ghosh
Barite | Level 11
This works quite well. Thanks for the link
s_lassen
Meteorite | Level 14

I think an Excel file is actually a zipped xml-file. Meaning that you can get all the stuff out of the file if you allocate it as a ZIP filename and read it as an XML or a text file. But I cannot help you with the details of where to find the comments.

You could start by renaming/copying your .XLSX file to .ZIP, extract it to an XML-file, and open it in your favourite text editor (UltraEdit and Notepad++ come to mind as good possibilities).

ghosh
Barite | Level 11

Thanks for this lead, I did not know that a xlsx file was actually a zip container.  When I renamed an xlsx file to zip and extracted all the xml files, I found comments are stored in several xml files. 

Now I am trying to establish a link between the xml files and the worksheets and cell refs. 

Thanks again.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 4 in conversation