BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
HeidiDT
Quartz | Level 8

Hi All

I have searched and searched the web for answers, but am just not winning. I am reading a json file with unicode characters that are causing the error "Some code points did not transcode.". Some of the specific values are:

- \"

- \udigits

I have tried this: filename test '/filepath/filename.json' encoding='UTF-8';
libname data JSON fileref=test ordinalcount=ALL;

but I still get the same error. Any ideas please? Unfortunately I cannot attach the file as it contains sensitive data.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
yabwon
Onyx | Level 15

ok, so the first step is to locate your sas home directory.

Run the following in your SAS Session to see the directory location:

filename f "!SASHOME";
filename f list;

you should see something like:

/path/to/sashome

in your log.

Next step:

Save the code you want to run in a file in your home directory, let say file will be "mycode.sas".

You can do it from your sas session by running something like:

data _null_;
file '~/mycode.sas';
infile CARDS4;
input;
put _infile_;
CARDS4;
/* your code starts here */

libname x "/some/path/to/some/data";

data mydata;
  set x.someDataSet;

run;

/* your code ends here */
;;;;
run;

When you are ready, open Putty.

Navigate to your home directory by typing:

cd ~/

and hit Enter.

Type:

ls -l

to see if the "mycode.sas" is there.

Then run the following line from command line:

/path/to/sashome/SASFoundation/9.4/sas -encoding utf-8 ./mycode.sas

the log from the execution will be created automatically in your home directory as "mycode.log"

You can add:

%put &=sysencoding.;

at the beginning of your code to see if the command line session started in UTF-8

Bart

"SAS Packages: the way to share" at SGF2020 Proceedings (the latest version), GitHub Repository, and YouTube Video.
Hands-on-Workshop: "Share your code with SAS Packages"
"My First SAS Package: A How-To" at SGF2021 Proceedings

SAS Ballot Ideas: one: SPF in SAS, two, and three
SAS Documentation

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Is your SAS session running with unicode support?  Check the value of the system option ENCODING.

%put %sysfunc(getoption(encoding));

If you are using a single byte encoding like WLATIN1 then there are MANY unicode values that cannot be transcoded into one of the 256 possible single byte characters.

Try reading the file in a SAS session that was started with ENCODING='UTF-8'

HeidiDT
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks!

Encoding = LATIN1. We are running SAS on servers, so I don't have the ability to change that. I can of course as our admin guys ro do it, but I will have to prove that there will be no impact to our existing processes - a major undertaking. Is that the only way to do this? So specifying encoding = 'UTF-8' in the filename statement is not sufficient?

yabwon
Onyx | Level 15

There is a separate place in hell for admins who do not set SAS server to utf-8 in XXI century. ;-D But jokes aside. 

Do you have command line access to the server, by PuTTy, MobaXterm or similar software?

If you do, you can rum sas session in command line with utf-8 encoding and then execute your code.

Let us know if you can, and if you need any support. Process is pretty easy, but if you never done it some support may be needed.

Bart

"SAS Packages: the way to share" at SGF2020 Proceedings (the latest version), GitHub Repository, and YouTube Video.

SAS Documentation

HeidiDT
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Bart

Thanks for this! I do have access tot he server via Putty, but will need help in order to run a SAS session via the command line please - I have never done that.

yabwon
Onyx | Level 15

ok, so the first step is to locate your sas home directory.

Run the following in your SAS Session to see the directory location:

filename f "!SASHOME";
filename f list;

you should see something like:

/path/to/sashome

in your log.

Next step:

Save the code you want to run in a file in your home directory, let say file will be "mycode.sas".

You can do it from your sas session by running something like:

data _null_;
file '~/mycode.sas';
infile CARDS4;
input;
put _infile_;
CARDS4;
/* your code starts here */

libname x "/some/path/to/some/data";

data mydata;
  set x.someDataSet;

run;

/* your code ends here */
;;;;
run;

When you are ready, open Putty.

Navigate to your home directory by typing:

cd ~/

and hit Enter.

Type:

ls -l

to see if the "mycode.sas" is there.

Then run the following line from command line:

/path/to/sashome/SASFoundation/9.4/sas -encoding utf-8 ./mycode.sas

the log from the execution will be created automatically in your home directory as "mycode.log"

You can add:

%put &=sysencoding.;

at the beginning of your code to see if the command line session started in UTF-8

Bart

SAS Documentation

HeidiDT
Quartz | Level 8

Thank you - this worked perfectly!! Now I will discuss changing the encoding permanently with our SAS Admins.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

@HeidiDT wrote:

Thank you - this worked perfectly!! Now I will discuss changing the encoding permanently with our SAS Admins.

No.  Don't change it.  Instead make both available.  So the USER can decide which encoding they want to use for this particular SAS session.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

You don't have to change your existing processes. Just run this job that needs it with Unicode support. 

Your SAS admins should be providing you with ways to run SAS with Unicode support.  If you are running SAS on your PC it should be part of the normal install.  You should see SAS 9.4 (English) and SAS 9.4 (Unicode Support) as available commands/apps to run in Windows.  If you are running from the command line you would normally either have two different commands (sas94 and sas94_unicode for example).  Or two different SAS configuration files you could point at.

If you are using SAS/studio or Enterprise Guide you should have a choice of an App server that supports Unicode.

The problem with trying to read Unicode characters when running a single byte encoding is like trying to put 10 pounds of potatoes into a five pound bag.  They is no place to put the extra characters.

You can read the JSON file as just a text file.  You could then parse it yourself.  Or translate the unicode yourself into some sequence of ANSI characters instead.  But that might take more effort than having your SAS admins just do their jobs.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 3 in conversation