BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Q1983
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

I have a share drive with about 10 states named by folder (ie al az dc etc...)  Within those folders there may be a .csv file or may not be one.

I am attempting to say if it exists import the contents of each folder into one dataset in sas.  Here is what I have so far

%let myPath =/myshare/HHFit;

%put &myPath;

%Let StateList= AL az ca dc ehlp FL ga il in ky  ;

%macro fetchstates(Statelist= , Currdate= );

%Let cnt=1;

%Let Thisstate=%scan(&StateList, &cnt, %Str( ) );

%Do %While (&Thisstate NE );

proc import out= &Thisstate

datafile="&myPath/&Thisstate./&Thisstate._HHF_STM_ToState_&Currdate_key._01.csv"

dbms=CSV replace ;

getnames=no;

datarow=3;

run;

/*** Advance counter and select next state ***/

%Let cnt=%eval(&cnt + 1);

%End;

%Mend;

%fetchstates(StateList=&StateList,

Currdate=&Currdate_key);

I get the following error.  It is unable to open the parameter and says file does not exists.  In some cases theres no file however theres a file for AL (Alabama).  The program is supposed to loop through all folders and grab the cvs if it exists.

SYMBOLGEN: Macro variable THISSTATE resolves to AL

SYMBOLGEN: Macro variable DORSHHFPATH resolves to /myshare/HHFit

SYMBOLGEN: Macro variable CURRDATE_KEY resolves to 20180129

MPRINT(FETCHSTATES): proc import out= AL datafile="/myshare/HHFit/AL/AL_HHF_STM_ToState_20180129_01.csv" dbms=CSV replace ;

MPRINT(FETCHSTATES): ADLM;

MPRINT(FETCHSTATES): getnames=no;

MPRINT(FETCHSTATES): datarow=3;

MPRINT(FETCHSTATES): run;

NOTE: Unable to open parameter catalog: SASUSER.PARMS.PARMS.SLIST in update mode. Temporary parameter values will be saved to WORK.PARMS.PARMS.SLIST.

ERROR: Physical file does not exist, /myshare/HHFit/AL/AL_HHF_STM_ToState_20180129_01.csv.

ERROR: Import unsuccessful. See SAS Log for details.

NOTE: The SAS System stopped processing this step because of errors.

NOTE: PROCEDURE IMPORT used (Total process time):

real time 0.11 seconds

cpu time 0.01 seconds

RROR: A character operand was found in the %EVAL function or %IF condition where a numeric operand is required. The condition was: &Thisstate NE

ERROR: The condition in the %DO %WHILE loop, , yielded an invalid or missing value, . The macro will stop executing.

ERROR: The macro FETCHSTATES will stop executing.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User

You need a modified version of this.

http://documentation.sas.com/?docsetId=mcrolref&docsetTarget=n0ctmldxf23ixtn1kqsoh5bsgmg8.htm&docset...

The appendix also has examples of looping through lists, though I'm partial to CALL EXECUTE myself.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Reeza
Super User

You need a modified version of this.

http://documentation.sas.com/?docsetId=mcrolref&docsetTarget=n0ctmldxf23ixtn1kqsoh5bsgmg8.htm&docset...

The appendix also has examples of looping through lists, though I'm partial to CALL EXECUTE myself.

ballardw
Super User

This error

ERROR: Physical file does not exist, /myshare/HHFit/AL/AL_HHF_STM_ToState_20180129_01.csv.

may be caused by running in a server environment as the path may need to be relative to the server.

The macro language really doesn't make it simple to check for "blank" values. but this

%Let cnt=1;
%Do %While (&Thisstate NE );

could be replaced with something like:

%Let Listcnt= %sysfunct(countw(&StateList));
%do i = 1 %to &Listcount;
   %Let Thisstate=%scan(&StateList,&i );

and instead of incrementing the cnt variable and extracting thisstate just use %end;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation