BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
alaxman
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello,

I'm trying to do some data manipulation where I ignore all other drug prescriptions once the patient has been prescribed the 'NALTREXONE HCL' drug and am stuck. This is the initial data:

Patient IDsvcdatedaysuppprodnme
1239/29/147ZUBSOLV
12310/2/1430ZUBSOLV
12310/9/1430NALTREXONE HCL

I do some data manipulation to begin with, where I recompute the Date based on Days of Supply. For example, in row #2, the Date when the patient should've gotten the drug refill should have been Date (from row #1) + Days of Supply (from row #1) and hence the Date in row #2 should be (9/29/14 + 7) = 10/6/14. I'm able to do this successfully and the data looks like:

1239/29/147ZUBSOLV
12310/6/1430ZUBSOLV

As the final step, I want to re-compute the Days of Supply for row #2 based on when the patient was prescribed the new drug. For example, the patient was prescribed 'NALTREXONE HCL' on 10/9/14 which means that they only took ZUBSOLV from 10/6/14 to 10/9/14. Hence, I want to recompute the Days of Supply for row #2 as Date (row #3) - Date (row #2) which is 10/9/14 - 10/6/14 = 3 and my final data to look like:

1239/29/147ZUBSOLV
12310/6/143ZUBSOLV

This is the code I have and it is not working:

data pers_3M_12M_30DAY;

set pers_3M_12M_30DAY;

if prodnme in ("VIVITROL", "REVIA", "NALTREXONE HCL", "NALTREXONE")

and svcdate_new le lag(svcdate_new)+ lag(daysupp)

then lag(daysupp) = svcdate_new - lag(svcdate_new);

run;

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jimbarbour
Meteorite | Level 14

If I'm understanding you correctly, you're wanting to update the 2nd record based on the contents of the 3rd record.  As far as I'm aware, the LAG function won't let you go back and update record 2 when you've already gone ahead to record 3.

There are (at least) a couple of ways to address this:

1.  You can save each record in RETAINed fields (or a Hash table) and not write that record out until after you read the following record.  This is referred to as Deferred Output processing. It's a bit of a pain, but it does work.

2.  You can read the next (third) record while processing the second record.  This is referred to as Read Ahead processing.  @LeonidBatkhan has a good post on the subject:  https://blogs.sas.com/content/sgf/2017/11/01/hopping-for-the-best-calculations-across-sas-dataset-ob...

If it were me, I'd probably go with #2.  Deferred Output is a little kludgey.

Why don't you give one of those a shot?  If those ideas don't help, post a reply, and let's see what we can do.

Jim

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

Like this?

data HAVE;
  input PATIENT_ID SVCDATE mmddyy8. DAYSUPP PRODNME :& $20. ;
cards;
123 09/29/14 7 ZUBSOLV
123 10/02/14 30 ZUBSOLV
123 10/09/14 30 NALTREXONE HCL
run;

data WANT;
  merge HAVE
        HAVE(firstobs=2 rename=(PATIENT_ID=P SVCDATE=S DAYSUPP=D PRODNME=N));
  SVCDATE_NEW=max(SVCDATE, lag(SVCDATE)+ lag(DAYSUPP));
  if PATIENT_ID=P & N='NALTREXONE HCL' then DAYSUPP_NEW=min(DAYSUPP, S-SVCDATE_NEW);
  format SVCDATE: date9.;
run;

Obs PATIENT_ID SVCDATE DAYSUPP PRODNME SVCDATE_NEW DAYSUPP_NEW
1 123 29SEP2014 7 ZUBSOLV 29SEP2014 .
2 123 02OCT2014 30 ZUBSOLV 06OCT2014 3
3 123 09OCT2014 30 NALTREXONE HCL 01NOV2014 .
alaxman
Obsidian | Level 7
Yes. However, this code won't work as I provided a snippet of my data. If I use your code, DAYSUPP_NEW would only be populated for row 3 and it'd be 23
ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

> this code won't work

I don't understand what this means. The code and the result are as I ran them.

jimbarbour
Meteorite | Level 14

If I'm understanding you correctly, you're wanting to update the 2nd record based on the contents of the 3rd record.  As far as I'm aware, the LAG function won't let you go back and update record 2 when you've already gone ahead to record 3.

There are (at least) a couple of ways to address this:

1.  You can save each record in RETAINed fields (or a Hash table) and not write that record out until after you read the following record.  This is referred to as Deferred Output processing. It's a bit of a pain, but it does work.

2.  You can read the next (third) record while processing the second record.  This is referred to as Read Ahead processing.  @LeonidBatkhan has a good post on the subject:  https://blogs.sas.com/content/sgf/2017/11/01/hopping-for-the-best-calculations-across-sas-dataset-ob...

If it were me, I'd probably go with #2.  Deferred Output is a little kludgey.

Why don't you give one of those a shot?  If those ideas don't help, post a reply, and let's see what we can do.

Jim

alaxman
Obsidian | Level 7

Hey Jim,

I'm not an expert in SAS. Would you be able to provide an example?

alaxman
Obsidian | Level 7
Figured out with the %hop macro
jimbarbour
Meteorite | Level 14

@alaxman,

Excellent!  Good job!  

The hop macro might be a bit of overkill for this application, but it's a nice piece of code to having a working example of.  You never know when it might be handy to have a read ahead.

@ChrisNZ,

I think the issue is that @alaxman wanted record two on the original file in effect updated in place.  I don't think he wanted any additional rows or columns, at least that's my understanding.

While @alaxman was sorting out the hop macro, I coded an alternative (see code below my "signature").  Basically, I figure out what the revisions should be, create a little dataset to contain said revisions, and then re-join the revisions dataset with the original, updating row 2 which gives me the following results which I think is what @alaxman was after.  Note that DaySupp on record 2 has been updated.

jimbarbour_0-1602043211907.png

My code is below.  Note that this code is a bit on the primitive side.  It doesn't for example (yet) take into account that there might be more than one Patient_ID present in the data.  I'll leave the code as is in case someone might find an alternative technique interesting (and since I've already written it), but my main point is the results set, above, with the updated DaySupp on row 2.

Jim

DATA	Drug_Data;
	INFILE	Datalines	DSD	DLM='09'x	MISSOVER;

INPUT	Patient_ID	$
			SvcDate		:	ANYDTDTE8.
			DaySupp
			ProdNme		:	$25.
			;
	FORMAT	SvcDate		mmddyys10.;

Datalines;
123	9/29/14	7	ZUBSOLV
123	10/2/14	30	ZUBSOLV
123	10/9/14	30	NALTREXONE HCL
;
RUN;

DATA	Partial_Update_Drug_Data	Revisions(KEEP=Patient_ID SvcDate DaySupp);
	DROP	_:;
	SET	Drug_Data;

LENGTH	_Prior_ID	$8;
	LENGTH	_Prior_Drug	$25.;

RETAIN	_Prior_ID	' ';
	RETAIN	_Prior_Date	0;
	RETAIN	_Prior_Supp	0;
	RETAIN	_Prior_Drug	' ';

LENGTH	_Save_Date	8;
	LENGTH	_Save_Supp	8;

IF	ProdNme					=	_Prior_Drug	THEN
		DO;
			SvcDate				=	INTNX('DAYS', _Prior_Date, _Prior_Supp);
		END;
	ELSE
	IF	ProdNme					IN	("VIVITROL", "REVIA", "NALTREXONE HCL", "NALTREXONE")	THEN
		DO;
			_Save_Date			=	SvcDate;
			_Save_Supp			=	DaySupp;
			DaySupp				=	INTCK('DAYS', _Prior_Date, SvcDate);
			IF	DaySupp			^=	_Prior_Supp	THEN
				DO;
					SvcDate		=	_Prior_Date;
					OUTPUT			Revisions;
					SvcDate		=	_Save_Date;
					DaySupp		=	_Save_Supp;
				END;
		END;

_Prior_ID					=	Patient_ID;
	_Prior_Date					=	SvcDate;
	_Prior_Supp					=	DaySupp;
	_Prior_Drug					=	ProdNme;

OUTPUT	Partial_Update_Drug_Data;
RUN;

PROC	SQL	NOPRINT;
	CREATE	TABLE	Full_Update_Drug_Data				AS
		SELECT	Data.Patient_ID
				,Data.SvcDate
				,COALESCE(Rev.DaySupp, Data.DaySupp)	AS	DaySupp
				,Data.ProdNme
			FROM	Partial_Update_Drug_Data	Data
			LEFT	JOIN	Revisions			Rev
				ON	Data.Patient_ID	=	Rev.Patient_ID
				AND	Data.SvcDate	=	Rev.SvcDate
				;
QUIT;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 3 in conversation