BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
PhanS
Obsidian | Level 7

Dear Reeza,

I replied to Tom - it appeared that all my SAS files (prior to 2018) that I used and saved with a SAS license cannot be opened in SAS on Demand. 

I do not know why - my SAS files (after 2018) that I worked and saved with SAS Studio, I have no issue with.

Please note, these SAS files can be transferred in SPSS, but not for any SAS files prior to 2018.

You may have any thoughts - let me know. Thanks a lot !    

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Please show the SAS logs of the attempts to read one of the older files that does not work.

If they also say the file has zero observations then perhaps the issue was with how you saved them prior to 2018.

PhanS
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello,

I randomly verified - data from 2010 - 2019, some can be opened, some are not.

You are correct - I cannot remember which SAS version - but I had an SAS version at some points.

Please kindly see in the attachment. 

Please note there are few files, I saved overlap names but they are different in size and saved in different files.

PhanS
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you, Kurt !

It looks weird to me that say BN file is empty since it has 500+ kb, but you know better than me. I believe some of my files may be in the same situation - I never look at them for a long time. 

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Two important facts:

1. SAS datasets are organized in pages, the pagesize depends on operating system, bitness, and maybe other factors. The pagesize is at least 128K, in your case it seems to be 512K, and a dataset will always have at least one complete page which contains all the meta-information.
  2. In hierarchical filesystems (especially UNIX), the filenames of the datasets must always be all lowercase. The SAS system will show you all files with a .sas7bdat extension (converting the names to uppercase for display purposes), but then it will search for the all-lowercase file when you want to actually use the dataset, and will not find it, leading to interesting ERROR messages.
PhanS
Obsidian | Level 7

Dear Kurt,

Thank again for your words - I have to remember to switch to a lowercase !

Reeza
Super User

I uploaded your files to OnDemand, no issues. 

I changed the names to lowercase and they work fine.

BN is empty, 

P.. has 558 variables and 605 observations

BN_Save has 674 variables and 559 observations.

PhanS
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks a lot, Reeza !

Phan S.

Reeza
Super User
That's very weird, are the files proprietary or can you share one?

PhanS
Obsidian | Level 7

Can I send the file via email? Let me know.

Reeza
Super User
You can in a DM on here I think 🙂
SASKiwi
PROC Star

SAS On Demand runs on linux. If you created the SAS datasets you are trying to read on a different operating system, like Windows, for example then you may well have problems reading these on linux. SAS datasets are stored in OS-specific format.

PhanS
Obsidian | Level 7

But I never use SAS Studio or On Demand (even a SAS license) in other operations than Windows.

I found today that some files had been corrupted - why? I am not sure.  

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

@PhanS wrote:

But I never use SAS Studio or On Demand (even a SAS license) in other operations than Windows.

I found today that some files had been corrupted - why? I am not sure.  

It's not the OS of the SAS client but the one of the SAS Server that's relevant here. 

Ideally attach one of your corrupted files here so we can have a closer look at it. If attaching first verify on OS level that the file isn't bigger than 5MB.

Patrick_0-1673502723283.png

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 30 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 7 in conversation