BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
justusjillella
Fluorite | Level 6
Can someone share what is the day to day routine of a production support guy from their experience?
6 REPLIES 6
Kurt_Bremser
Super User
  • check my office mailbox for notifications for crashed SAS jobs from the scheduler
  • read the early morning report mail I have my server send me
  • log on to the server with relevant user ID's (superuser, SAS install user, batch job user) and check the internal server mails for them (in case a cron job produced unexpected output or similar)
  • use the relevant services (workspace server from EG, SAS Studio, stored process) to check if everything's fine from the client side.
  • check the ticketing system for something to do
  • browse SAS communities, wait for phone calls from users
justusjillella
Fluorite | Level 6
Thank you
Reeza
Super User
A lot of this depends on how the infrastructure is set up. I just started a new role and they have nothing, so our production team is not so much support at this moment and more developer. Once the data warehouse build is complete, she can transition back to being a mainly support. If you're wondering why we didn't split the roles and hire someone new for development, it's because she's very familiar with the data, how it's captured and used, and getting someone else up to speed will take longer overall. There's a chance she ends up being the developer full time and we hire a new support person. But time will tell.

But main idea, it really really varies from org to org and the organizations tech maturity level.
justusjillella
Fluorite | Level 6
HI Reeza,
Can you share some of the many reasons why a tested application in dev  fails in the production environment from your experience
Reeza
Super User
1. Test data isn't robust enough and edge cases are missed.
2. Prod and Dev are not exactly the same set up, though you think they are.
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

....and to add to @Reeza some more possibilities:

3. Missed test cases

4. Faulty code migration (Prod code base not exactly what has been tested)

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 8 likes
  • 4 in conversation