BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
ywon111
Quartz | Level 8

Hi - is there a way to group observations together, i.e. if fruit is variable and i want to group apple and orange as Group 1 to show in output report?

This is what I got now:

Example of data:

Fruit

Apple

Orange

Grapes

Banana

proc report data=final;
columns fruit n;
define fruit/group;
define n /'Count';
rbreak after / summarize;
run;

2 REPLIES 2
ketpt42
Quartz | Level 8

I think you would need a column in your final dataset that contains the grouping information you are looking to group by in the proc report.

CATEGORY

FRUIT COUNT
Group 1 Apple

Group 1 Orange 20
Group 2 Grapes 15
Group 2 Banana 5

Then you could define CATEGORY as a group variable. 

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi:

Here's an example using SASHELP.CLASS. Suppose you want to put the students into 2 categories -- Yes or No -- are they eligible for Driver's Ed based on their age. You can do that with a user defined format:

Cynthia_sas_0-1594391741313.png

Now the user-defined format is just the beginning. It only defines how the ages get broken up into categories. Now the format needs to be used. This is the output I want to create:

Cynthia_sas_1-1594391805242.png

Notice that I have a sub-category of M and F for the male and female students and I'm getting a count of each gender within each age category. I've also added subtotals of count and a grand total for all students at the bottom of the report.

Here's the PROC REPORT code that does everything in one step. Since age is a numeric variable, I wanted to make a helper column to hold the category value and the longer text on the break lines. That was all accomplished in the COMPUTE block for AGECAT, my helper variable:

Cynthia_sas_2-1594392024862.png

Hope this helps point you toward one possible solution with PROC REPORT.

Cynthia

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation