BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
wj2
Quartz | Level 8 wj2
Quartz | Level 8

Hello,

I am trying to use the COUNT statement with PROC SQL to perform 2 separate conditional counts from a dataset. I would like to perform the following two counts from my dataset: 1) All patients who have received any formulation of Medication A, and 2) All patients who have received formulations other than Oral formulations of Medication A (i.e., those who have received only oral formations would be excluded from the count; those who have received both non-oral and oral formulations would be included). I have included a sample of my data set below as well as my desired output. Any help with how to code this would be much appreciated!

Have:

Patient_ID

Medication

Formulation

A

C

Injection

A

B

Injection

A

A

Injection

B

A

Oral

B

B

Injection

C

A

Oral

C

A

Sublingual

D

A

Subcutaneous

D

F

Oral

E

A

Oral

E

B

Oral

Desired output:

Count_Medication_A_Any

Count_Medication_A_NotOral

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PGStats
Opal | Level 21
proc sql;
select
	count(distinct patient_id) as a_any,
	count(distinct case when formulation ne "Oral" then patient_id else . end) as notOral
from myData
where Medication = "A";
quit;
PG

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
PGStats
Opal | Level 21
proc sql;
select
	count(distinct patient_id) as a_any,
	count(distinct case when formulation ne "Oral" then patient_id else . end) as notOral
from myData
where Medication = "A";
quit;
PG
sqlGoddess
SAS Employee

I would employ boolean logic here which is an elegant approach to get counts of any combination of conditions.

if you'd like to learn more about this technique, come attend my  Ask-the-Expert Webinar on 5 Oct.

Here's one way I would craft code to get those counts you are looking for.

proc sql;
select
sum(Medication='A') as AnyA,
sum(formulation ne "Oral" and Medication='A') as AllANotOral
from doctor
quit;

the results are as follows.

AnyA AllANotOral
6 3

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation