BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
SASuserlot
Barite | Level 11

Please direct me if I am in the wrong location. I will still ask the question here.  I have sas 9.4 version TS1M7. I have difficulty scrolling up and down the  Enhanced Editor Window.  its very lagging, but log window is working  with sufficient speed.  How to fix this. I tried  changing the size of the font and  different options in SAS> Tools sections.. How to solve this issue

7 REPLIES 7
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Unfortunately there are multiple possible causes for an issue like this. When did the enhanced editor start behaving slowly or has it always been like this? Is it only scrolling that is slow?

Firstly, I suggest you reboot your computer and open just SAS. Does it perform slowly, just with SAS open?

SASuserlot
Barite | Level 11

its on Remote desktop server. I am only using the default settings. I tried  the suggestion you mentioned no luck. Thank you for you suggestions.

ballardw
Super User

Does this behavior change with the size of a file? I haven't opened any files with 10,000 lines lately but have had SAS programs with that many lines in the past and expected degraded performance, though not much, compared with 80 lines.

How do you "scroll"? Up/down arrows on the key board? Using the scroll bar? Mouse wheel? Some of the "mouse" based can have issues based on the mouse driver.

Are you using a custom scheme to display SAS program files? If so, do you have the same performance behavior using the Default scheme?

SASuserlot
Barite | Level 11

This is very interesting.  I thought the same, like loading a file from a folder to SAS sometimes lags. However, I tried just copy-pasting the text in the editor window. I still have the same problem with scrolling. I didn't even run the code. When I run and see the log window, at least the log window is a little faster than the editor. I tried using the arrow keys, using the mouse wheel, and holding the scroll bar. I am using the default display style.  Coming to the mouse driver, I can scroll the same code in Notepad and UltraEdit at the same speed.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

What happens if you just use the plain old PROGRAM EDITOR window (you an use the command PGM in the SAS command box on the toolbox  to open it).   Does that perform ok?

Personally I like the regular program window better than the "enhanced" program editor any way.  You can turn on the lines numbers and use the line commands copy/delete/move/insert lines.  You can use the command line to enter commands like FILE and OPEN. 

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Running on a virtual desktop complicates troubleshooting problems like this. I suggest you open a Tech Support track as they would likely have a lot more experience with this type of setup.

ballardw
Super User

@SASuserlot wrote:

Coming to the mouse driver, I can scroll the same code in Notepad and UltraEdit at the same speed.

Does this mean that scrolling in Notepad and UltraEdit are the same but SAS is slower or that all three have similar slow speeds? And were all three running on the remote desktop? If all the programs have the same slow response then I would say that points to the mouse driver, the virtual desktop or perhaps and interaction between the two. Does the desktop have any mouse related settings to investigate?

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation