BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
TimH
Quartz | Level 8

I have fields which contain either "String1"   or they contain "String1\String2"  with "\" as the delimiter between the two strings.

I input the field with INPUT @col  WORKFLD $20.

I then have this code (following the example in the documentation for getting the first and last word in the string

REALFLD1 = SCAN(WORKFLD,1,'\');

IF INDEX(WORKFLID,'\') > 0
THEN
    REALFLD2 = SCAN(WORKFLD,-1,'\');

It seems to work "backward"  - when WORKFLD contains "OPSYS\KNMACTH"   the results are REALFLD1 = KNMACTH and REALFLD2 = OPSYS  .   

If I switch the '1' and the '-1' I get what I want but I'm not sure why it is working this way...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TimH
Quartz | Level 8

Ooops..   In my original code (not the 'pseudo code' I posted here) I had REALFLD1 and REALFLD2 reversed as they were close in spelling.  Sorry for wasting everyone's brain time.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
SwagatPatil
Fluorite | Level 6

If you want first and last word another column just use catx with scan

catx('-',scan(col1,1,'/'),scan(col1,-1,'/'))

TimH
Quartz | Level 8

No, I want the two values to be in two separate fields, not concatenated.

Please note the slash is '\' and not this '/'  (which is one of the default delimiters for the function)

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Works fine for me.

511   data test;
512     have= "OPSYS\KNMACTH"  ;
513     first=scan(have,1,'\');
514     last=scan(have,-1,'\');
515     put (_all_) (=);
516   run;

have=OPSYS\KNMACTH first=OPSYS last=KNMACTH
ballardw
Super User

When I run your code, after correcting the WORKFLID to WORKFLD with

237  data junk;
238     WORKFLD="OPSYS\KNMACTH";
239     REALFLD1 = SCAN(WORKFLD,1,'\');
240     IF INDEX(WORKFLD,'\') > 0 THEN
241      REALFLD2 = SCAN(WORKFLD,-1,'\');
242     put _all_;
243  run;

WORKFLD=OPSYS\KNMACTH REALFLD1=OPSYS REALFLD2=KNMACTH _ERROR_=0 _N_=1

I do not get your stated result.

Since you likely did not paste code from your actual program then it is likely that you either 1) reversed the names of the REALFLD variables OR used the 1 and -1 in the incorrect code location.

TimH
Quartz | Level 8

Ooops..   In my original code (not the 'pseudo code' I posted here) I had REALFLD1 and REALFLD2 reversed as they were close in spelling.  Sorry for wasting everyone's brain time.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation