BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Lulus
Obsidian | Level 7

super wired, I actually then converted the income_dx to an income_dx2 and assign the 2nd one numeric type, the re-ran the loop, and the probem

moved down to line (plz see original) coding2(ETHG_dx)=1;

Lulus
Obsidian | Level 7

I've got a great update.  Even it's not perfect yet.  However, now I am able to have the nested loop completed

EXCEPT!!

it wouldn't print out the missing element for me. 

So, ok the income_dx are all going to be my binary variables. 

so I have 6 columbs represent salary1 salary2 ....salary6 but just not the "missing", ok I changed the name to salary9, didn't work, and ok changed it again to salary7...................didn't work,either.

here is the error for my log.

ERROR: Array subscript out of range at line ~ column ~. and that's it.  None of my errors have rulers or something.

which is this line here, coding4(k)=0;  (???????)

Didn't I tell SAS PLEASE do 1 to 7?

What happened makes it just give me 6 columns (binary dummies variables)?

TimArm
Obsidian | Level 7

Your earlier post said the income_dx values were 1,2,3,4,5,6, and 9

If you want to do coding4(income_dx) = 1;, then that is going to put something in coding(9) at some point.

Have you got somewhere for sas to put it?

Go back to declaring your array as salary1-salary10 and there will be a variable to store for coding(9).

Then you also need to make sure that you are looking at all of the values when you are retrieving/initialising the values i.e. do k=1 to 10; NOT do k=1 to 7;

Does that make sense?

Reeza
Super User

set stdff;

array coding2 {*} agroup_1-agroup_6;

do i=1 to 6;

coding2(i)=0; /*i isn't used past this point but you're repeating the loop 6 times for what reason?????*/

array coding3 {*} boys girls notdisclose nodata;

do j=1 to 4;

coding3(j)=0; /*j isn't used past this point but you're repeating the loop 4 times for what reason?????*/

array coding4 {*} salary1-salary6 salary7;

do k=1 to 7;

coding4(k)=0;
/*k isn't used past this point but you're repeating the loop 7 times for what reason?????*/

end;

coding4(income_dx)=1;    <-------------------------------Error Happens Here!! Need help!!

end;

coding3(gndr_dx)=1;

end;

coding2(ETHG_dx)=1;

drop i j k;

run;

Your loops and code make no sense to me at all. And if you've define an array of 7 elements but call it with 9 then it's clearly out of range. Re-think whatever you're trying to do and give it another go...

Astounding
PROC Star

It sounds like you're looking for this:

coding4(min(7, income_dx))=1;

That way, when income_dx is 9, the MIN function returns 7 and the statement changes the 7th element of the array.

Sensible?

Lulus
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you very much.  I will try it.  Happy holidays all.

TimArm
Obsidian | Level 7

min(7,income_dx)  -  that's an Astoundingly good suggestion. I like it.

I have another alternative, though - use a format to map the value of income_dx to an array index.

With a format you could catch values for income_dx that are not in 1,2,3,4,5,6,9 and assign them to another array index for data "errors". A format would also let you convert the character income_dx to a number without creating another variable.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 7 likes
  • 5 in conversation