BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
drundell
Fluorite | Level 6

Good morning,

I am trying to start the SAS Programming 1 trainings and have been trying to find a solution to this through several SAS U community and google searches. I am attemping to upload the required data files to begin SAS Programming 1 lessons. When I launch the createdataPG1_oda.sas code I receive these errors:

ERROR: No logical assign for filename UNZIP.
ERROR: ************************************************************
Path specified for data files (/home/sasdemo/EPG194) is not valid.
Remember: PATH values in UNIX and LINUX are case sensitive.

I have double-checked to make sure my share folder is set up with the right permissions in virtual box and I am not sure what to do next.

Thank you,
Dan
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User
Go back to the setup instructions. Make sure you select the option for SAS University Edition, it looks like you're set up for a custom SAS Studio or possibly Academics on Demand. There are different instructions for each application.

or follow the instructions in the second video here:
https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Communities-Library/How-to-access-data-for-SAS-Programming-1-cour...

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
drundell
Fluorite | Level 6

It simply says to set up the reference to myfolders within the machine settings. I was pretty meticulous about setting up the virtual machine according to the instructions.

Source: http://support.sas.com/software/products/university-edition/docs/en/SASUniversityEditionQuickStartVi...

Any other suggestions?

VDD
Ammonite | Level 13 VDD
Ammonite | Level 13

replace the sasdemo with your userid.

drundell
Fluorite | Level 6

Where? The code that creates my directory of data files?

Reeza
Super User
Those are the set up instructions for the VM, I believe we're referring to the set up instructions for the course not the VM and SAS UE. Did you check out the video?
Reeza
Super User
Go back to the setup instructions. Make sure you select the option for SAS University Edition, it looks like you're set up for a custom SAS Studio or possibly Academics on Demand. There are different instructions for each application.

or follow the instructions in the second video here:
https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Communities-Library/How-to-access-data-for-SAS-Programming-1-cour...
drundell
Fluorite | Level 6

I did it according to the instructions. This code was given from the SAS Programming 1 steps. I used these instructions: http://support.sas.com/software/products/university-edition/docs/en/SASUniversityEditionQuickStartVi...

drundell
Fluorite | Level 6

I was able to obtain my username for SAS OnDemand for Academics and utilize the SAS Studio software within. For some reason this executed the *.oda file correctly. I would never have attempted to go with a different method if you hadn't replied with this comment. Everything is functioning properly now. Thank you!

u49354906
Calcite | Level 5

How did you figure it out, Dan? I am facing the same problem as you did even though I used University edition. 

u49354906
Calcite | Level 5
ERROR: ************************************************************
Path specified for data files (/home/u49354906/EPG194) is not valid.
Remember: PATH values in UNIX and LINUX are case sensitive.
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

You seem to use the instructions and code for SAS On Demand for Academics. Please use those for University Edition. In UE, data needs to be addressed through the shared folder /folders/myfolders.

Reeza
Super User
Are you trying to set up the files for the Programming 1 course? This is on Academics on Demand if that's your path and that means you need to follow the Academics on Demand instructions not the SAS University Edition. This is not SAS University Edition.

If your URL looks like odamid.sas...... then it's Academics on Demand.
If your URL looks like 172.0.2.134 then it's SAS University Edition.

u49354906
Calcite | Level 5

I am learning this from Courera, using academic OnDemand version and following the this link's instruction: http://dl.liveweb.sas.com/eldata/setupPG1_oda_coursera.html

the file I downloaded was odamid.sas. but always has the error I described above. 

I am using MacBook Air and chrome browser. 

if I downloaded the wrong program, could you please give me a link for the academic version so that I can download the right program?

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 1 like
  • 5 in conversation