BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Tal
Pyrite | Level 9 Tal
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi I have a JSON file  with a  field which i want to parse  

Field Name:JOURNEY_RESPONSES
{"CPAT_Q2":[{"borrower":"primaryBorrower","age":57,"province":"ON"},{"borrower":"coBorrower1","age":53,"province":"ON"}],"CPAT_Q4LOCHELOC":{"balanceAmt":150000,"paymentAmt":500,"paymentFrequency":"MONTHLY","limitAmt":150000,"revolvingLimitAmt":150000,"termAmt":70000,"clkReferenceNumber":"12345678-01"},"CPAT_Q5":[{"borrower":"primaryBorrower","income":60000},{"borrower":"coBorrower1","income":60000}],"CPAT_Q5_COMBINED":{"savings":150000,"expenses":2000}}

and i want something like  this:

borrower1                 age1    province1      borrower2            age2    province2

primaryBorrower      57         on                  coBorrower1      53          on

what i am doing  is this but it only  gives me  the data  of the co-borrower

do index=1 to countw(JOURNEY_RESPONSES,'{,}','q');
pair = scan(JOURNEY_RESPONSES,index,'{,}','q');
name = dequote(scan(pair,1,':','q'));
value = dequote(scan(pair,2,':','q'));
select (name);
when ('borrower') Borrower=value;
when ('age') Age=input(value,2.);
when ('province') Province=value;
when ('clkReferenceNumber') CR_REF_Number=value;
otherwise put 'NOTE: Unknown field. ' pair=;
end;
end;

How can i fix this, any advice please? 

3 REPLIES 3
sbxkoenk
SAS Super FREQ

Hello,

You should use PROC JSON and PROC HTTP as explained in this paper:

paper: https://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings17/0856-2017.pdf

Paper 856-2017
Parsing JSON with SAS® in 2017
John Kennedy, Mesa Digital

[EDIT] the paper also uses the JSON LIBNAME engine and contains an example where data is retrieved from a JSON-endpoint (URL).

Koen

BillM_SAS
SAS Employee

I am not exactly clear one what you want as output from the data. The example you supply only shows part of the data in the output. I suspect you want more output from the data. I am able to replicate what you say you want based on the supplied example output. I hope that code I am supplying will allow you to get an idea of how to solve your problem.

I put your JSON file into the file named "sasComm768136.json". From there, I ran this code:

libname x json './sasComm768136.json';

data temp(drop=ordinal_root ordinal_cpat_q2 borrower age province);
set x.cpat_q2 end=lastOne;
retain borrower1 age1 province1;
if (_N_ eq 1)
   then do;
       borrower1 = borrower;
	   age1 = age;
	   province1 = province;
     end;
   else do;
       borrower2 = borrower;
	   age2 = age;
	   province2 = province;
     end;
  if lastOne
     then do;
       output;
	   end;
run;

proc print data=work.temp; run;

This produced:

Obs       borrower1       age1    province1     borrower2     age2    province2
   1     primaryBorrower     57        ON        coBorrower1     53        ON
Tal
Pyrite | Level 9 Tal
Pyrite | Level 9

Thanks BillM_SAS,

the jason file has more fields  that i need to  output actually

so lets say the original  file has 3  fields  A,  B. and  Joruney_Response  and as an output i want

A        B        Borrower1                age1     province1     borrower2         age2      province2

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10     44        primaryborrower        57          on             coborrower1       53           on   

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 16. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation