BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
ismahero2
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

I have used the  xmlv2 engine in SAS to parse some XML files.  However, now I am receiving more and bigger files and I want to parse them on the IBM Z/OS mainframe to take advantage of the processing power.  However, I haven't found any documentation on how to parse XML files using the xmlv2 engine in the Z/OS environment.  Normally I would create a map of the XML file and then use that map along with the xmlv2 engine to generate a SAS dataset from the XML file.

My code in SAS Studio or EG would look like this:
           filename XMLFILES (

"file1"

"file2"

);

filename XMLMAP  'address/nameofmap.map';

libname  XMLFILES  xmlv2 xmlmap=XMLMAP;

libname PERMOUT  'address/permanent';

Proc Datasets LIB=XMLFILES;

COPY OUTLIB=PERMOUT;

RUN; QUIT;

I will like to do something similar, if possible, but in the Z\OS environment.   Have anyone done this?  Any documentation or examples on how to do this on the IBM Mainframe?

3 REPLIES 3
SASKiwi
PROC Star

According to this doc the XMLV2 engine is Production on z/OS in SAS 9.4. What is your mainframe SAS version? As long as it is at least 9.4 the engine should work the same as on other operating systems.

ismahero2
Obsidian | Level 7
Hi,

I just checked and we have SAS 9.3.  Will this be a dealbreaker when it comes to use SAS to parse the XML files?
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Apparently it is pre-production in SAS 9.3, so you could try it at your own risk. It is unlikely to work as reliably in 9.3. I personally wouldn't use it for any business-critical processes.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation