BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

In the future, if you're working with a remote SAS session and you need to take a closer look at any file using local tools, use the Copy Files task to download a file from SAS to your local PC.  There you can examine with fancier tools like Notepad++ or VS Code, which can "prettify" your structured files for easier reading.

Check out SAS Innovate on-demand content! Watch the main stage sessions, keynotes, and over 20 technical breakout sessions!
ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

@ChrisHemedinger 

Maybe an improvement for EG would be for it to suggest downloading the file if it's too large to handle, like it does when outputs or logs are too large, rather than truncate without warning.

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

@ChrisNZ Usually EG would prompt to open a very large file in an external tool, like Notepad++.  

But the implicit download of a text-based file could cause issues with transcoding/line-ending nuances.  The Copy Files task always does a binary transfer.

Check out SAS Innovate on-demand content! Watch the main stage sessions, keynotes, and over 20 technical breakout sessions!
ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

> The Copy Files task always does a binary transfer.

That's good to know.

it was displayed as cut in the EG text editor, which led me to believe the response was not correctly written.

The issue here seems to be that no warning was given about the truncation of that file, hence causing unnecessary confusion.

JosephHenry
SAS Employee

So I tried this with the latest EG 7.1, and the limitation of 32768 characters on a single line is still there.

I will let the EG guys know, and maybe they can handle it better in the future.

Andres_SAS
Calcite | Level 5

Hi 

I was having the same problem, still can't solve it. What I could do to see the whole response is to change the extention of the file for html. 

So in your case it would be 

filename RESPONSE "&g_USER_BASE.\...\response_FULL.html";

Now I'm trying to extract the text from the html file into a several lines in a sas table for example

Andres_SAS
Calcite | Level 5
ok, and for that it does work the infile RESPONSE recfm=n

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 11 likes
  • 5 in conversation