BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Xinhui
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi there

I used following code: 

proc means data=master_1;
Var r;
by t;
OUTPUT out = final;
RUN;

I got mean std; 

I'm wondering how can I get t value and P in this case. What code should I use? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

@Xinhui wrote:

T is a veriable ”time" 

t has value 1,2,3,.....18,

R is the return,

I have 500 firms' data in the sample. 

I want to get T-statistic  and P vlue for returns, based on different groups of samples by t, T=1,2....18.

I say again: to have a P-value you have to conduct a statistical test. So what exact statistical test is your P-value supposed to reflect? Do you want to test that R is not 0? Is greater than 10? Less than 100? That the value of R is different at T=1 compared to T=2?

You can get a t-value p-value related to testing if the variable = 0 with this in proc means:

proc means data=sashelp.class mean std t probt;
  class sex;
  var height;
run;

If you need to test that the hypothesized value of the mean is something besides 0  you'll need to go to a different procedure. Which gets back to what do you want to test?

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
ballardw
Super User

You can get a T value by requesting the T statistic. (Confusing as you have a variable named T);

A P value requires a test. What test do want to run?

Xinhui
Obsidian | Level 7

T is a veriable ”time" 

R is the return,

I want to get T-statistic  and P vlue for returns, based on different groups of samples by t, T=1,2....18.

ballardw
Super User

@Xinhui wrote:

T is a veriable ”time" 

R is the return,

I say again: to have a P-value you have to conduct a statistical test. So what exact statistical test is your P-value supposed to reflect? Do you want to test that R is not 0? Is greater than 10? Less than 100? That the value of R is different at T=1 compared to T=2?

You can get a t-value p-value related to testing if the variable = 0 with this in proc means:

proc means data=sashelp.class mean std t probt;
  class sex;
  var height;
run;

If you need to test that the hypothesized value of the mean is something besides 0  you'll need to go to a different procedure. Which gets back to what do you want to test?

Xinhui
Obsidian | Level 7

my hypothsis is 

h0: r=0;

h1: r not equal to 0;

Reeza
Super User
Then you can use PROC Univariate as designed.
See the different statistics and keywords and definitions here:
https://documentation.sas.com/?docsetId=proc&docsetTarget=p0v0y1on1hbxukn0zqgsp5ky8hc0.htm&docsetVer...

You want PROBT for a two tailed p-value.
Xinhui
Obsidian | Level 7

I got what I want 

Thank you very much

Reeza
Super User
What's the hypothesis you're testing?

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 16. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation