BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
tbellmer3
Calcite | Level 5
There is a column named MSA in the sashelp.zipcode data set. MSA has apparently been replaced by CBSA. What I need is to translate MSA such as 3760 to a city such as Kansas City.

Can someone point me to say a CSV file that contains the MSA code and associated city name or even a MSA to CBSA file?
2 REPLIES 2
ballardw
Super User

Search the Census.gov website. Somewhere it will have the documentation, and possibly by different years. I can't point to a specific link because 1) the census reorganizes their website constantly and saved links often don't work and 2) the last time I looked at this was over 10 years ago so things would have moved.

tbellmer3
Calcite | Level 5

I contacted SAS support and got this reply:  MSAs were retired by Census Bureau in 2003.  MSA data was from zipcodedownload.com.  MSAs are replaced by Core Based Statistical Area (CBSA).  There are no plans to add CBSA to SASHELP.ZIPCODE.  Check with Census bureau to see if they have a table.

I did search the census site and no luck so sent them an email requesting assistance.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation