BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
HERR_LANGER80
Calcite | Level 5

To all: 

I am an intermediate SAS developer who has not had any problems with SAS up until this point where I am now trying to use a database engine. 

Objective: Connect to a SQL Server database from within SAS. 

Current approach: use SAS ODBC drivers

Important facts:

1. Using SAS onDemand for Academics;

2. Have run PROC  SETINIT;

3. SAS/Access to SQL Server not part of the list;

4. Downloaded SAS Deployment Manager;

5. Deployed ODBC drivers for both 64 and 32 bit; 

Simple code for testing. 

libname sqlsRvr odbc dsn='SS_ODBC',schema='DBO'

Proc SQL;
SELECT * FROM Main_Disease_tbl;
QUIT;

Errors:

ERROR: The ODBC engine cannot be found.
ERROR: Error in the LIBNAME statement.

I don't get why this doesn't work. 

Can someone assist me here with a possible explanation as to why this doesn't work?

Thanking you in advance.  
Herr Langer

7 REPLIES 7
Reeza
Super User
I don't believe SAS OnDemand for Academics supports connecting to databases.
HERR_LANGER80
Calcite | Level 5

So If the Academic Version does not allow for Database connections then I guess that I will have to look into a full featured version of the product. 

Thanks!

Reeza
Super User
Viya is available in Azure MarketPlace as Pay as you Go but no idea how that works personally 🙂
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

On Demand does not support any ACCESS module beyond ACCESS to PC Files, IIRC. And you would need to set up the DSN on the On Demand server, not on your PC. Which you can't do in this restricted environment.

HERR_LANGER80
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you Kurt. 

And thanks to all of you who responded. 

SASKiwi
PROC Star

If you need to get data out of SQL Server and into SODA, you can always extract the data in the SQL client of your choice into a delimited file and then upload it to SODA.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

You can always export your DB data to text files and upload these to On Demand. This is in fact how it's done at the company I worked for. No SAS/ACCESS license needed, no maintenance of the DB client on the SAS server, and no danger of unexpected loads on the production DB server.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation