BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
HeatherNewton
Quartz | Level 8

If i have series of program that produce series of tables containing production data, instead of masking some sensitive fields, if i just make these data null, e.g. have all names become null in  the same column, is all programs still run as before given this name field is not key to any join table or a factors in any important calculation 

4 REPLIES 4
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

@HeatherNewton wrote:

If i have series of program that produce series of tables containing production data, instead of masking some sensitive fields, if i just make these data null, e.g. have all names become null in  the same column, is all programs still run as before given this name field is not key to any join table or a factors in any important calculation 

Is there a question there somewhere?

If you want to make a copy of the data and set some variables to missing then just use the CALL MISSING() function.

For example if you wanted to blank out NAME and AGE from SASHELP.CLASS you could do this:

data want;
  set sashelp.class;
  call missing(of name age);
run;
SASKiwi
PROC Star

BTW NULL is a database concept where database columns store special null values which are not the same as missing or blank values. SAS columns only contain missing values, not null.

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

From syntax perspective, yes.

But what is the point of keeping them at all if they are not contributing to the result?

Data never sleeps
ballardw
Super User

@HeatherNewton wrote:

If I understand your question the answer could be "maybe". Depends on how you intrepret or specify "important".

If you are using the variables as part of By group or Class statement then all missing values within a By group/ Class group with multiple variables will be the same "value" with the non-missing values. Depending on the code actually used missing values may be included or know (look for option MISSING in some procedures). If procedures us Class statements then typically missing values of the Class statements will result in records being excluded from use in the procedure.

As is often the case, you might be better off just trying your process with and without the values in the data set and compare the results.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation