BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
lapetitemaman
Calcite | Level 5

Hi everyone,

I am trying to pull some data from an internal database through OLE DB connection using a SAS macro. Below is my code:

%macro list(Form, name);

proc sql;

connect to oledb (init="Provider=xxxxx; Password=xxxxx; Persist Security Info=True; Usder ID=xxxx; Initial Catalog=xxxx; Data Source=xxx");

create table &Form as 

select * from connection to oledb(

select distinct(t1.Item)

from Table1 as t1

cross join Table2 as t2

where t1.ID=t2.ID and t2.exam_version='&name'

group by t1.Item;);

quit;

%mend list;

%list(Form1,Math_TC1)

The code ran but resulted in 0 observations with no error message. However, if I replaced the &name in the macro with the actual name (i.e., Math_TC1), the code would run correctly. Any pointers what the issue may be and how to modify my code?

Thanks a lot!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Quentin
Super User

maybe try:

where t1.ID=t2.ID and t2.exam_version=%str(%')&name%str(%')

Or you could refactor it to pass the quotes in the value for NAME when you call the macro:

%macro list(Form, name);

proc sql;
connect to oledb (init="Provider=xxxxx; Password=xxxxx; Persist Security Info=True; Usder ID=xxxx; Initial Catalog=xxxx; Data Source=xxx");
create table &Form as 
select distinct(t1.Item)
from Table1 as t1
cross join Table2 as t2
where t1.ID=t2.ID and t2.exam_version=&name   /*no quotes here*/
group by t1.Item;);
quit;

%mend list;

%list(Form1,'Math_TC1')  /*added quotes here*/

The Boston Area SAS Users Group (BASUG) is hosting our in person SAS Blowout on Oct 18!
This full-day event in Cambridge, Mass features four presenters from SAS, presenting on a range of SAS 9 programming topics. Pre-registration by Oct 15 is required.
Full details and registration info at https://www.basug.org/events.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ballardw
Super User

Macro variables do not resolve inside single quotes.

So in this

where t1.ID=t2.ID and t2.exam_version='&name'

the comparison was to the literal value &name which would almost certainly not appear in your data.

try

where t1.ID=t2.ID and t2.exam_version="&name"
lapetitemaman
Calcite | Level 5

I have tried to use double quotes instead of single quotes and received an error message.

ERROR: Describe error: IColumnsInfo::GetColumnInfo failed. : Deferred prepare could not be
completed.: Statement(s) could not be prepared.: Invalid column name 'xxx'. 

Quentin
Super User

maybe try:

where t1.ID=t2.ID and t2.exam_version=%str(%')&name%str(%')

Or you could refactor it to pass the quotes in the value for NAME when you call the macro:

%macro list(Form, name);

proc sql;
create table &Form as 
select distinct(t1.Item)
from Table1 as t1
cross join Table2 as t2
where t1.ID=t2.ID and t2.exam_version=&name   /*no quotes here*/
group by t1.Item;);
quit;

%mend list;

%list(Form1,'Math_TC1')  /*added quotes here*/

The Boston Area SAS Users Group (BASUG) is hosting our in person SAS Blowout on Oct 18!
This full-day event in Cambridge, Mass features four presenters from SAS, presenting on a range of SAS 9 programming topics. Pre-registration by Oct 15 is required.
Full details and registration info at https://www.basug.org/events.
lapetitemaman
Calcite | Level 5

The second method worked. Thank you so much!

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation