BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
POOJAA
Fluorite | Level 6

I have completed my Master's in Pharmacy and obtained SAS Advanced Professional Certification.

I have been applying for positions as a Data Analyst and SAS programmer, but unfortunately, I haven't had any success. Consequently, I am interested in utilizing this time to acquire new skills and earn another certification. However, I am uncertain about what path to pursue.

While I am aware of the Clinical SAS certification, I am also interested in exploring other options. Could anyone please offer guidance on what other certifications or skills I could pursue next? I truly appreciate any advice and thank you for taking the time to read this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

@POOJAA Landing the first job can be hard if the job market is tight. Don't take it personal and just keep trying. 

If you make it to the interview stage but don't get the job don't hesitate to call the company and ask if they are willing to give you some feedback why you didn't make it so that you can improve in these areas. Worst that can happen is that they say no.

Make sure that you use in your application keywords that got used in the job ad (="synch" your your application with the ad) so that in a first scan of applications you get some matches and a better chance to proceed to the interview stage. 

Reading job ads will also tell you what employers are looking for. It's always a wish list an no one ticks all the boxes but it still shows you what's asked for regularly and though gives you an idea which skills you might need to improve. 

And last but not least: See your first job as an investment into your professional career and don't only apply for your dream jobs. I wish you good luck!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Sajid01
Meteorite | Level 14

Hello @POOJAA 

The path to pursue depends on your interests.
Looks like you have been trying for data analysts position. Good number of positions in data analysts require a knowledge of Python, some visualization tools like Tableau , Power BI and Excel. R is also good to have.
I would strongly recommend learning Data analysis with Python, R and Power BI or Tableau Learning these tools requires substantial time and resources.
These skills would add value to your skills in SAS.

POOJAA
Fluorite | Level 6
Hi Sajid,
Thanks a lot for taking time to explain me. This will really help me.

I will check out these options.
SASKiwi
PROC Star

I'd also suggest going to any SAS user group meetings and SAS branch events in your area and network with all attendees. You can't beat the personal touch.

It's a sad fact that most organisations require work experience, not just qualifications. How do you gain work experience when they won't offer you a job?! Maybe it would be worth exploring internships to get over this barrier.

POOJAA
Fluorite | Level 6
Hi @SASKiwi I truly appreciate you taking time to help me. I will check on the local events.

I can't apply to internships they need individuals who passed out in 2023 or 2024. I passed out years back and due to change in career I'm nowhere.

I'm trying to learn new things till the time I get a job with a hope that it will help me someday.
SASKiwi
PROC Star

@POOJAA - In that case I suggest you emphasise your industry experience, which in my view is as important as your IT skills.

POOJAA
Fluorite | Level 6
@SASKiwi surely I will check on this. Thanks again for the guidance.
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

@POOJAA Landing the first job can be hard if the job market is tight. Don't take it personal and just keep trying. 

If you make it to the interview stage but don't get the job don't hesitate to call the company and ask if they are willing to give you some feedback why you didn't make it so that you can improve in these areas. Worst that can happen is that they say no.

Make sure that you use in your application keywords that got used in the job ad (="synch" your your application with the ad) so that in a first scan of applications you get some matches and a better chance to proceed to the interview stage. 

Reading job ads will also tell you what employers are looking for. It's always a wish list an no one ticks all the boxes but it still shows you what's asked for regularly and though gives you an idea which skills you might need to improve. 

And last but not least: See your first job as an investment into your professional career and don't only apply for your dream jobs. I wish you good luck!

POOJAA
Fluorite | Level 6
Thank you so much for your thoughtful advice, @Patrick. It's reassuring to hear your perspective on navigating the job market. I'll definitely take your tips to heart, especially about seeking feedback after interviews and aligning my applications with job ad keywords. Your encouragement to view each opportunity as a stepping stone in my career journey is invaluable, and I'll keep it in mind as I continue my search. Thanks again for your support and well wishes!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 11 likes
  • 4 in conversation