BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
SASuserlot
Barite | Level 11

Probably this can be a blind question, Since I can not share the path I am working. Sorry for  that.

I created  a macro variable (Lib) using the dataset that contains the list of paths under the variable name 'Path' . When I try to create the library using libname statement I am getting the following error image with the quoted string NOTE ( my path did not have any quotes ).

My macro variable is resolving to the string that I expected. But library is not created.  If I copy the value from the path  variable and create a different dataset and creates the macro variable then it working. I am not sure what I am doing wrong. Can you please share your ideas what I need to check to correct it or what I am doing wrong (like you think any visible characters or spaces any thing to check).

SASuserlot_0-1668560622698.png

*libname not working;
options mprint mlogic symbolgen;
proc sql noprint; select strip(path) into: lib from county; quit; libname x "&lib" ; ***************************************;

*libname statement working this method;
data file;
path= 'c:/actual/path/name';
run;

proc sql noprint;
select strip(path) into: lib from file; quit; libname x "&lib" ;
/*The actual path something looks similar below path= G:/section/accounts/expenses-22/20 22/NJ/burlington/county/continuity/maintainanc;*/

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Using the STRIP() function is NOT going to prevent PROC SQL from adding the trailing spaces implied by the LENGTH of the variable selected into the resulting macro variable.

Instead use the TRIMMED keyword.

proc sql noprint;
select path
  into :lib trimmed
  from county
;
quit;

If you are going to add back the quotes later then include them in the macro variable.  This is especially important if the value already has the quote character.  Use the optional second parameter of the quote() function to have it use single quotes.  That is important if the string has macro trigger characters like & or % that would be evaluated by the macro processor if the string was bounded by double quote characters.

proc sql noprint;
select quote(trim(path),"'")
  from county
;
quit;
libname x &lib ;

Or skip PROC SQL and MACRO code completely.

data _null_;
  set county;
  rc=libname('x',path);
  put rc= path=;
  stop;
run;

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Quentin
Super User

With this sort of problem, often the cause is an unmatched quote earlier in your SAS session.

The easiest way to test would be to make a permanent dataset temp.county.  Then start a new session and submit just:

proc sql noprint;
select  strip(path)  into: lib
			 from temp.county;
quit;

%put >>&=lib<< ;

libname x "&lib" ;

If that code works, it means your problem is somewhere earlier in your SAS session.

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Don Henderson presenting on using hash functions (not hash tables!) to segment data on June 12. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
SASuserlot
Barite | Level 11

Thank you @Quentin . Yes, there is a note like that where I created a macro variable of the concatenation of 50 state names, separated by 'comma'  ( this variable is longer than 262 characters in length)to run a do loop ( it didn't affect anywhere else in my code except troubling the libname statement). How Can I  counteract this issue? Because I need this in the same session. Using 'NOQUOTELEMAX' will do anything?

ballardw
Super User

@SASuserlot wrote:

Thank you @Quentin . Yes, there is a note like that where I created a macro variable of the concatenation of 50 state names, separated by 'comma'  ( this variable is longer than 262 characters in length)to run a do loop ( it didn't affect anywhere else in my code except troubling the libname statement). How Can I  counteract this issue? Because I need this in the same session. Using 'NOQUOTELEMAX' will do anything?

An aside to your original issue: Placing 50 state names into a single macro variable for a loop control seems like it is quite possible to approach the problem differently. Not so much a size of variable issue as whether the use of a macro variable is actually needed at all.

SASuserlot
Barite | Level 11

Thank you @ballardw  for bringing this attention. I am kind of new at macros, so I am starting at small macros and  on my way to go complex.  Yes I do understand what you saying. Macro variable was created  to run through a do - loop macro where every time , it has to choose the  state based on the iteration ( created separate number for the iteration) in order to avoid every time entering the  state name when calling the macro. I wish I could I can  show my code, so that I can get better and easy option from you guys ( unfortunately my code have lot of privacy information, Usually I try to give dummy code as much as I can share or piece of code where I stuck).

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Using the STRIP() function is NOT going to prevent PROC SQL from adding the trailing spaces implied by the LENGTH of the variable selected into the resulting macro variable.

Instead use the TRIMMED keyword.

proc sql noprint;
select path
  from county
;
quit;

If you are going to add back the quotes later then include them in the macro variable.  This is especially important if the value already has the quote character.  Use the optional second parameter of the quote() function to have it use single quotes.  That is important if the string has macro trigger characters like & or % that would be evaluated by the macro processor if the string was bounded by double quote characters.

proc sql noprint;
select quote(trim(path),"'")
  from county
;
quit;
libname x &lib ;

Or skip PROC SQL and MACRO code completely.

data _null_;
  set county;
  rc=libname('x',path);
  put rc= path=;
  stop;
run;
SASuserlot
Barite | Level 11

Thank you @Tom   Your second method using the quote and trim functions worked for me. Thank you again sharing your knowledge to me. I really don't like these 'Quoting' Issues in Macros.😣

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation