BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
ANKH1
Pyrite | Level 9
Yes, the last value is required for a selection of variables per dataset.
Reeza
Super User

This is how I would do it, less reading of datasets. 

data test;
input ID $ bp weight bc form_number;
datalines;
1 120 78 178 1
1 134 80 177 2
1 143 . 176 3
2 111 58 . 1
3 154 55 160 1
3 178 56 144 2
;
run;

%macro locf(dsin=, dsout=);

*get the latest value;
data latest_values;
update &dsin(obs=0) &dsin;
by id;
run;

*build a rename list for variable names;
proc sql noprint;
select catx("=", name, catt('LAST_', upper(name))) 
into :rename_list
separated by " "
from sashelp.vcolumn
where libname='WORK'
and memname='LATEST_VALUES'
and upper(trim(name)) ne 'ID';
quit;

*merge in final results;
data &dsout;
merge &dsin latest_values (rename = (&rename_list));
by id;
run;

*remove latest values dataset for clean process;
proc sql;
drop table latest_values;
quit;

%mend;

%locf(dsin=test, dsout=want);
ANKH1
Pyrite | Level 9
Thanks! The output is a dataset with all variables with the last_prefix (except for ID). What if we want to only do this for not all variables in the dataset? Can this to be added to the macro?
Reeza
Super User
Add that into the "update" step with latest via a KEEP or DROP statement, whichever makes the most sense for your data.
ANKH1
Pyrite | Level 9
I added the following and didn't work.
data latest_values;
update &dsin(obs=0) &dsin (keep=bp weight);
by id;
ERROR: BY variable ID is not on input data set test.
ERROR: UPDATE statement needs a BY statement.
run;
Quentin
Super User

As per the log, you need to keep ID as well, because it's in the BY statement.  You also need to KEEP the variables on both datasets, i.e.:

data latest_values;
update &dsin(keep=id bp weight obs=0) &dsin (keep=id bp weight);
by id;
BASUG is hosting free webinars ! Check out our recordings of past webinars: https://www.basug.org/videos. Be sure to subscribe to our email list for notification of future BASUG events.
ANKH1
Pyrite | Level 9
Thank you! This worked perfectly.
Quentin
Super User

Glad it worked.  It would be better to accept @Reeza's answer with the macro definition as the correct answer.  My comment here was just a small addition.

BASUG is hosting free webinars ! Check out our recordings of past webinars: https://www.basug.org/videos. Be sure to subscribe to our email list for notification of future BASUG events.
ANKH1
Pyrite | Level 9

You are right. Thank you both!

Quentin
Super User

If you click on the hamburger icon for my answer, I think it might give you an option "un-mark as correct", "this is not the solution" or something to that effect.  

Quentin_0-1680726685888.png

ANKH1
Pyrite | Level 9
Thanks! I edited my answer once I found the hamburger icon and I guess you were just typing what I needed while I was updating my reply. Thank you again!
Reeza
Super User

I was thinking statement, not data set option to keep it cleaner? But probably more efficient as a data set option though. Glad you got it sorted. 

data latest_values;
update &dsin( obs=0) &dsin ;
by id;
keep id bp weight;
run;
ANKH1
Pyrite | Level 9

Hello, the code you provided works perfectly but today I tried using a dataset that has really long variable names (more than 32 characters). I get the error: Variable name is longer than 32 characters. We do not want to change the variable names. Is there a way to increase the length of the variables in the macro. We have both numeric and character variables. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

If your source dataset has variables with names longer than 32-5 bytes then you cannot add LAST_ prefix and keep the full original variable name since the result will be more than 32 bytes.

You might be able to just truncate to 32 bytes.

newname=substr('last_'||name,1,32);
Reeza
Super User
SAS has a hard limit on the length of variable names, 32 characters. If you're going to work with this data in SAS significantly, change the length of the variable name.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 34 replies
  • 12 likes
  • 7 in conversation