BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
IgawaKei29
Quartz | Level 8

So macro programming has always been a weakness for me, but I am trying to do something fairly simple to give it a go for date automation.  

So what I want to happen is based on the run date, it will create the Quartercal for me based on my logic below.  So I am missing something when running this macro but I am not sure what it is.  I haven't done many of these if, then, do, else if, types before.

Thank you!

%macro Quarter_SAS(Quartercal);
%let Today_SAS  = %sysfunc(date(),Date9.);
%LET Run_Date   = %SYSFUNC(INPUTN(&Today_SAS., Date9.));
%LET Quarter_SAS  = %SYSFUNC(INTNX(MONTH, &Run_Date., 0., B), Date9.);
   %if &Quarter_SAS = ('01MAR2020') %then
      %do;
      %let Quartercal=('Q12020');
      %end;
   %else %if &Quarter_SAS = ('01AUG2020') %then
      %do;
      %let Quartercal=('Q22020');
   %end;
   %else %if &Quarter_SAS = ('01DEC2020') %then
      %do;
      %let Quartercal=('Q32020');
   %end;
   %else %if &Quarter_SAS = ('01JAN2021') %then
      %do;
      %let Quartercal=('Q42020');
   %end;
%mend Quarter_SAS;
%put &Quarter_SAS;
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

I'm not going to re-write your entire macro code, but let me give you some general principles.

Macro variables should not be formatted (except for display in titles or labels or report). So

really ought to be

%let Today_SAS  = %sysfunc(date());

for any logical or arithmetical use, which is what you appear to be doing.

Next, macro variable values almost never need quotes around them, or parentheses around them. You spend a lot of time formatting and unformatting and adding quotes and then removing them. This is all unnecessary.

The exception is when you need to hard-code a specific date, such as you have 01MAR2020. Then you can use

%if &Quarter_SAS = %sysevalf('01MAR2020'd) %then %do;

Really, start from scratch, re-write your code without formatting and without quotes and parentheses, following the above principles, and it will work a lot better with a lot less effort.

--
Paige Miller

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Using the DATE9 format with the output of the %SYSFUNC() is going to generate a string that looks like:

01MAR2020

That is NEVER going to match a string that has quotes and parentheses in it like

('01MAR2020')
Astounding
PROC Star

To add some detail to @Tom 's comment, this syntax is inaccurate:

%if &Quarter_SAS = ('01MAR2020') %then
      %do;
      %let Quartercal=('Q12020');
      %end;

Macro language automatically treats characters as if they are characters.  So this would be better:

%if &Quarter_SAS = 01MAR2020 %then
      %do;
      %let Quartercal=Q12020;
      %end;
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

I'm not going to re-write your entire macro code, but let me give you some general principles.

Macro variables should not be formatted (except for display in titles or labels or report). So

really ought to be

for any logical or arithmetical use, which is what you appear to be doing.

Next, macro variable values almost never need quotes around them, or parentheses around them. You spend a lot of time formatting and unformatting and adding quotes and then removing them. This is all unnecessary.

The exception is when you need to hard-code a specific date, such as you have 01MAR2020. Then you can use

%if &Quarter_SAS = %sysevalf('01MAR2020'd) %then %do;

Really, start from scratch, re-write your code without formatting and without quotes and parentheses, following the above principles, and it will work a lot better with a lot less effort.

--
Paige Miller
IgawaKei29
Quartz | Level 8

Thank you @Astounding@PaigeMiller and @Tom.  This macro logic is really interesting to me and I can see where formatting and characters can get in the way when trying to code the solution.  Using a lot of these %put statements seem to help so I can see the output in my log to help formulate what I need.

Appreciate the help again!  Thanks 😄

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Adding to my above example

If you want to see that this is correctly computing the date (and of course you can use this in more complicated date examples, such as with %sysfunc(intnx()) as well)

%put &=today_sas %sysfunc(putn(&today_sas,date7.));
--
Paige Miller
ballardw
Super User

Another question that may be worth considering is does this need be all macro code?

The comparisons and calculations may be easier in a DATA _NULL_ step that creates the needed macro values  with call symputx.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 5 in conversation