BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
jjb123
Obsidian | Level 7

This is probably a question that has been asked many times and answered, but I'm not finding the info I want.  I want to do something like the following and would love some advice (or even links to the question being answered).  I basically want to be able to do something like this while being able to just list multiple variables at the top (like %let variable = x, y, z, etc.).  So I want it to be able to loop through multiple variables and perform the same procedures and give the different outputs.  

%let variable = x;

/*then do data manipulations, etc*/

proc export data = xyz outfile = "C:\Users\person\Desktop\'&variable'.dta" replace;
run;

3 REPLIES 3
PeterClemmensen
Tourmaline | Level 20

You can do something along these lines

data callstack;
   length string $500;
   do var='x', 'y', 'z';
   string=compbl(cats(
      "
      proc export data = xyz outfile = 'C:\Users\person\Desktop\", var, ".dta' replace;
      run;
      "
      ));
   output;
   call execute(string);
   end;
run;
jjb123
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks for the response.  However, there are hundreds of lines of data manipulations that I perform on each variable, so using call execute gets very messy very quickly. Do you have any other suggestions?

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Then you need a macro with nested %DO loops for the multiple variables. Since you have not provided any more details, there's really not much detail I can provide back to you.

--
Paige Miller

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation