BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
kmardinian
Quartz | Level 8

Hi,

I have a dataset that I would like to output in a csv file after rounding the average of a variable to one decimal place. I also would like whole numbers to appear like this '10.0'. I used a format in my SAS dataset to ensure that whole numbers would keep that trailing zero, but when I export out into a csv file, the trailing zeros are lost.

Is there a way I can ensure that the trailing zeros won't be lost once it is converted into a csv file. I am using proc report to generate my csv file.

Thank you!

data all2;
set all1;
avg=round(average,0.1);
format avg 5.1;
run;

%let rptfile=Average;
%let outpath=\\desktop\;
ODS _ALL_ CLOSE;
ods csv file = "&outpath.&rptfile..csv"
options ( SHEET_NAME="Report"
AUTOFILTER = "all"
EMBEDDED_TITLES ="yes"
ORIENTATION ="landscape"
frozen_headers='3'
absolute_column_width='8, 10, 16, 12'
) ;

title2 "Report Generated";

proc report data=all2 nowd split="~"
style(Header)=[just=left font_weight=bold font_size=10pt]
style(column)={just=left vjust=center font_size=10pt font_face=times background=white foreground=black bordercolor=black};
columns subnum avg ;
define subject/"Subject";
define avg/"Average";

run;
ods excel close;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Examine your CSV file in a text editor, not Excel as it has a default action of not showing decimals if they are zero. If the CSV genuinely has the decimal places using say Notepad, then you can blame Excel.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
kmardinian
Quartz | Level 8

Hi, I posted this question in SAS programming, but thought it would fit better here.

I have a dataset that I would like to output in a csv file after rounding the average of a variable to one decimal place. I also would like whole numbers to appear like this '10.0'. I used a format in my SAS dataset to ensure that whole numbers would keep that trailing zero, but when I export out into a csv file, the trailing zeros are lost.

Is there a way I can ensure that the trailing zeros won't be lost once it is converted into a csv file. I am using proc report to generate my csv file.

Thank you!

data all2;
set all1;
avg=round(average,0.1);
format avg 5.1;
run;

%let rptfile=Average;
%let outpath=\\desktop\;
ODS _ALL_ CLOSE;
ods csv file = "&outpath.&rptfile..csv"
options ( SHEET_NAME="Report"
AUTOFILTER = "all"
EMBEDDED_TITLES ="yes"
ORIENTATION ="landscape"
frozen_headers='3'
absolute_column_width='8, 10, 16, 12'
) ;

title2 "Report Generated";

proc report data=all2 nowd split="~"
style(Header)=[just=left font_weight=bold font_size=10pt]
style(column)={just=left vjust=center font_size=10pt font_face=times background=white foreground=black bordercolor=black};
columns subnum avg ;
define subject/"Subject";
define avg/"Average";

run;
ods excel close;

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Examine your CSV file in a text editor, not Excel as it has a default action of not showing decimals if they are zero. If the CSV genuinely has the decimal places using say Notepad, then you can blame Excel.

andreas_lds
Jade | Level 19

@kmardinian  Please don't post one question multiple times. I have merged both posts, to reduce fragmentation.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Your code looks very mixed up.  You have a ODS CLOSE for EXCEL destination, but the OPEN is for CSV destination.

You also have OPTIONS that might be valid for the EXCEL destination, but have no meaning for a CSV file.

PGStats
Opal | Level 21

For a simple task such as writing a CSV file, put proc export to work:

data class;
set sashelp.class;
format weight 7.2;
run;

PROC EXPORT DATA= WORK.CLASS 
            OUTFILE= "&sasforum\reports\csvtest.csv" 
            DBMS=CSV REPLACE;
     PUTNAMES=YES;
RUN;
Name,Sex,Age,Height,Weight
Alfred,M,14,69,112.50
Alice,F,13,56.5,84.00
Barbara,F,13,65.3,98.00
Carol,F,14,62.8,102.50
Henry,M,14,63.5,102.50
James,M,12,57.3,83.00
Jane,F,12,59.8,84.50
Janet,F,15,62.5,112.50
Jeffrey,M,13,62.5,84.00
John,M,12,59,99.50
Joyce,F,11,51.3,50.50
Judy,F,14,64.3,90.00
Louise,F,12,56.3,77.00
Mary,F,15,66.5,112.00
Philip,M,16,72,150.00
Robert,M,12,64.8,128.00
Ronald,M,15,67,133.00
Thomas,M,11,57.5,85.00
William,M,15,66.5,112.00
PG

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 16. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 5 in conversation