BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
req41273
Quartz | Level 8
I'm aiming for a result set where I'll see a column a in the MDM.MPI_MEMPHONEWC Table two times. Therefore,
I've put in my code an inner join on that table that joins the tables to itself. My question is is what I've got below follow true to what I'm trying to accomplish with MDM.MPI.MEMPHONEWC table.

NI'm not looking for replies to know what my table column values are. I'm looking for just an overall code review
oof does it make sense. FROM HSDREPT.MEMBER_ADDRESS as MA inner join HSDREPT.MEMBER_MASTER as MM on MM.SEQ_MEMB_ID = MA.SEQ_MEMB_ID inner join HSDREPT.member_elig_history as meh on MM.SEQ_MEMB_ID = MEH.SEQ_MEMB_ID inner join HSDREPT.PROV_MASTER as PM on PM.SEQ_PROV_ID = MEH.SEQ_PROV_ID inner join HSDREPT.PROV_ADDRESS as PA on PM.SEQ_PROV_ID = PA.SEQ_PROV_ID LEFT JOIN MDM.MPI_MEMIDENTWC AS MID on MM.SUBSCRIBER_ID = MID.IDNUMBER inner join MDM.MPI_MEMADDRWC as MAD on MAD.MEMRECNO = MID.MEMRECNO inner join MDM.MPI_MEMPHONEWC as MP on MAD.MEMRECNO = MP.MEMRECNO inner join MDM.MPI_MEMPHONEWC2 AS MPH on MP.MEMRECNO = MPH.MEMRECNO
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SASKiwi
PROC Star

It is perfectly OK to join the same table more than once in a query, but when doing that there should be something different about the second or subsequent joins. From your code snippet I can't see anything different but you will need to change this:

MDM.MPI_MEMPHONEWC2 /* Why the 2 on the end? you dont need it if you are reading the same table */

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
SASKiwi
PROC Star

It is perfectly OK to join the same table more than once in a query, but when doing that there should be something different about the second or subsequent joins. From your code snippet I can't see anything different but you will need to change this:

MDM.MPI_MEMPHONEWC2 /* Why the 2 on the end? you dont need it if you are reading the same table */
req41273
Quartz | Level 8

My goal is to have the same table available for different where and select conditions.  So that's is why I put the 2 at the end.

inner join MDM.MPI_MEMPHONEWC as MP

on MAD.MEMRECNO = MP.MEMRECNO

inner join MDM.MPI_MEMPHONEWC2 AS MPH

on MP.MEMRECNO = MPH.MEMRECNO 
req41273
Quartz | Level 8

But, I think my alias names being different should differentiate the same table as being two different tables now.  correct?

SASKiwi
PROC Star

@req41273  - Yes, differentiate by alias, table name has to stay the same.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation