BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
linlin87
Quartz | Level 8

Hi SAS Forum,

I am a new user, and I want to pass rows from a data file into a macro. However I have no idea how to do this without hard coding. Is there a better way?

To try and explain what I want to do, lets say I have a data file:

data datafile;
input parm1 parm2;
datalines;
1.1 2.0
1.2 2.0
1.3 2.0
1.4 2.0 ; run;

And I have a macro that takes two inputs and produces a data set:

%macro mymacro(input1=,input2=);

[does stuff...] 

data output;
run;

%end
%mend

Then I want to somehow iteratively pass each row of datafile into the inputs of the macro mymacro, and at each row get a new data output. At the end, I want to concatenate these output data files.

Something like this (but obviously this is not working!):

data test;
set %mymacro(input1=parm1,input2=parm2)
run;

Any help on how I would go about this? Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

You can't use macro variable &i because you have never defined it (this macro variable does not exist).

Your code seems to use a DO loop that doesn't make sense to me, and was not present in my original code

data _null_;
    set datafile;
    	do i=1 to 3;
	x=dosubl("%mymacro(input1="||parm1||",input2="||parm2||",file_id=&i)");
	end;
run;

Try this instead

data _null_;
    set datafile;
    x=dosubl("%mymacro(input1="||parm1||",input2="||parm2||",file_id="||_n_||")");
run;
--
Paige Miller

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
andreas_lds
Jade | Level 19

At first write the code without any macro statements. Think about the creating the dataset "output", what happens to the dataset if you would call it again? Right, the dataset will be overwritten, so you get only the output of the last call. Why do you need to process the data of each observation separately? What exactly happens in "mymacro"? If you need to call a macro from within a data step, have a look at call execute, you will need it.

linlin87
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Andreas,

Thanks for the help. I am not sure how call execute could be implemented for this problem. This is what I have written so far - it might help you understand what I am trying to do.

data sample;
	input param1 param2;
  	datalines;
  	1.0 1.5
	;
run;

data _null_;
	set sample;
  	call symput("x",param1);
  	call symput("y",param2);
run;

%put param1 is = &x;
%put param2 is = &y;

%mymacro(parameter1=&x,parameter2=&y,outputfileidx=01);

What I want is for the data sample to have multiple lines, which I can iteratively pass to %mymacro

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@linlin87 wrote:

Hi Andreas,

Thanks for the help. I am not sure how call execute could be implemented for this problem. This is what I have written so far - it might help you understand what I am trying to do.

data sample;
	input param1 param2;
  	datalines;
  	1.0 1.5
	;
run;

data _null_;
	set sample;
  	call symput("x",param1);
  	call symput("y",param2);
run;

%put param1 is = &x;
%put param2 is = &y;

%mymacro(parameter1=&x,parameter2=&y,outputfileidx=01);

What I want is for the data sample to have multiple lines, which I can iteratively pass to %mymacro

The DOSUBL idea I provided above should work, but there may be simpler methods that you ought to consider first. Exactly what is the problem you are trying to solve? At this time, please explain in words, not via SAS code.

--
Paige Miller
linlin87
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Paige,

Thanks for helping. 

The macro is running a correlation of performance metrics for a device. It calls a data set, changes two parameters (param1 and param2) in this dataset, calculates the performance metrics, and outputs a dataset. I want to investigate how this performance metric depends on a large sample space of param1 and param2. I hope this answers your question?

I have also tried:

%mymacro(param1=RAND('normal'),param2=RAND('normal'),call=01);

because then I can just have a %do loop and repeatedly call this. But I actually get very strange results when I take this approach. The output is different to if I manually enter the values from RAND('normal').

linlin87
Quartz | Level 8
I should add, Andreas, that my macro has a third parameter, so the data file has an index on each run, namely:

%mymacro(1.02,12.5,01)

produces a dataset output_01
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

You could use DOSUBL on each row to run the macro on the values of each row. Something like this (UNTESTED CODE):

data _null_;
    set datafile;
    x=dosubl("%mymacro(input1="||parm1||",input2="||parm2||")");
run;

A real-world example from @ChrisHemedinger is here: https://blogs.sas.com/content/sasdummy/2016/02/15/using-proc-iomoperate/

--
Paige Miller
linlin87
Quartz | Level 8
Thanks Paige, I will try this.
linlin87
Quartz | Level 8
Hi Paige,

The issue as that the output I am interested in extracting from %mymacro is a dataset.

How would you apply dosubl in this instance?
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@linlin87 wrote:
Hi Paige,

The issue as that the output I am interested in extracting from %mymacro is a dataset.

How would you apply dosubl in this instance?

No, I want a high level explanation of what this problem is. Not with reference to SAS code or SAS data sets or SAS macros. What is your data, what is the real-world problem you are trying to solve? What are the logical steps?

I have already given example code.

--
Paige Miller
linlin87
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Paige,

I am trying to understand how the accuracy of microneurography data is influenced by these two parameters. Is this the higher level you are after?

I can see you have provided code, which works - thank you.

I now have the following:

data datafile;
input parm1 parm2;
datalines;
1.1 2.0
1.2 2.0
1.3 2.0
1.4 2.0
;
run;

data _null_;
    set datafile;
	x=dosubl("%mymacro(input1="||parm1||",input2="||parm2||")");
run;

but how do I deal with the fact that at every iteration of %mymacro I am overwriting the data file that is generated? I introduced a new variable into the macro which appends an index to the file at each run, and then added a do loop to the data step, but it isn't doing what I expect:

data _null_;
    set datafile;
    	do i=1 to 5;
		x=dosubl("%mymacro(input1="||parm1||",input2="||parm2||",file_id=i)");
		end;
run;

I introduce 

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

I am trying to understand how the accuracy of microneurography data is influenced by these two parameters. Is this the higher level you are after?

That's a good start. Now explain the math (at a high level) that you need to do on this data.

--
Paige Miller
linlin87
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Paige,

I have a measure of bias/difference between the microneurography sensor and a reference electrode. I am changing the parameters of the calibration of the sensor (param1 and param2) and then recalculating the bias between this recalibrated sensor and the reference electrode.

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Thanks. I think that helps.

Now you say:

but it isn't doing what I expect:

This never helps. When you say something isn't working and provide no additional information, we can't help further. We don't know what you did, we don't know what happened, we don't know what it is doing and we don't know what you expect. 

So if there are errors in the log ... you need to show us the ENTIRE log (not selected parts) for this DATA step (or PROC). You need to copy the log as text and then paste it into the window that appears when you click on the </> icon.

2021-11-26 08_27_29-Reply to Message - SAS Support Communities — Mozilla Firefox.png

If there are no errors but the output isn't right, then EXPLAIN, and show us the incorrect output and describe the output you'd like.

--
Paige Miller
linlin87
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Paige,

Here is the code I now have is below. It is not producing the 

data datafile;
input parm1 parm2;
datalines;
1.1 2.0
1.2 2.0
1.3 2.0
;
run;

%macro mymacro(input1=,input2=,file_id=);
*[code for recomputing bias];

data output_&file_id;
set output_final;
run;

%mend;

data _null_;
    set datafile;
    	do i=1 to 3;
	x=dosubl("%mymacro(input1="||parm1||",input2="||parm2||",file_id=&i)");
	end;
run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 7 likes
  • 5 in conversation