data _null_;
file "&rptout\test..txt" lrecl=119 TERMSTR=crlf;
set cars;
put @1 make $9.
@10 drivetrain $15.
@16 length $5
;
run;

When I run the code I am getting an insufficient authorization message.  Yet when I run the code using the following code it runs without issue. 

PROC EXPORT 
OUTFILE = "&rptout\cars..xlsb"     
DATA= cars
            DBMS=   EXCELCS   REPLACE;
            SHEET='sheet1';
            SERVER="sas-pcff.share1-prd.com";
PORT = 9999; 
SERVERUSER="&suserid.";
SERVERPASS="&mypass.";
run;

The issue is I need this with a txt extension and with columns in tab set up like the first dataset

2 REPLIES 2
ballardw
Super User

Since your Proc Export code includes Port, ServerUser and Serverpass parameters and works correctly but your DATA step does not include any such permissions related parameters then that means that you likely need to include the equivalents in the data step.

Proc EXPORT will create TAB delimited output files using DBMS=TAB and use the .TXT extension in the outfile. Not that SHEET is not going to be valid with a TAB file.

You have an extra . in both versions of your output name. The "extra" dot would be needed if the part of the file name immediately before the extension is a macro variable such as "path\&somevar..txt" as the first . is used to tell the macro processor that is the end of the macro variable. If you used "path\&somevar.txt" then that first . with that use means there would not be a dot before the extension.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

When you use EXCELCS, you communicate from the SAS server with a SAS PC File Server instance on a remote host. This PC File Server process has the necessary permissions for the target resource, while your SAS process has not. This needs to be resolved with your server admins; they must make sure that the userid running your SAS process gets the necessary permission for the shared network resource.

The PC Files Server is specifically designed for MS Office files (Excel, Access), not for text files.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation